Being the Eldest One

Meera was about to leave for the college. She opened the door and called out, "Maa, I'm leaving!"

"Have breakfast before you go, Meera," her mother said, stepping out from the kitchen, a concerned frown creasing her forehead.

"Maa, I'll eat something at college," Meera replied, already making her way towards the door. As she opened it, she was met with an unexpected but welcome sight: her brother, Arjun, standing there with his baggage pushed aside.

Her face lit up with a broad smile as she leapt into his arms, exclaiming, "Arjun!"

Arjun hugged her tightly, lifting her off the ground momentarily, and whispered in her ear, "How's my kiddo doing?"

"Absolutely first class," she responded with a laugh, releasing the hug as he gently stroked her head. Meera quickly brought his bags inside as he entered the house, his presence bringing a wave of warmth and excitement.

"I'm so glad you're here," she said, her eyes sparkling. She was already running late for college when her phone buzzed with a call from her friend, warning her about the time.

"Okay, I have to go now; I'm getting late. But you have to stay here, don't go anywhere. I'll come to the office later and we'll talk a lot," she instructed him, her tone almost authoritative, and he bowed down playfully.

"Maa, Arjun is here. Don't let him leave," she shouted as she stepped out of the house, her voice echoing through the hallway.

"Crazy girl," Arjun remarked with a chuckle, watching his sister dash off. He shook his head, a fond smile on his face, adoring his energetic and loving younger sister.

Meera's hurried footsteps faded as she made her way to college, her heart lighter knowing her brother was home.

When Madhu saw Arjun outside, her face lit up with a broad grin. He approached her and enveloped her in a firm hug.

"How is my Mother India?" he asked, gently holding her chin.

"Months go by, and you leave your mother, getting engrossed in your work. Then you ask how Mother India is?" she complained, her tone a mixture of love and reproach.

"It's not like that, Mother India," he said, guiding her to sit with him on the couch. "Can anyone ever forget their mother?" he asked innocently, and she smiled, the annoyance dissipating from her face.

"Where's Dad?" he inquired, glancing around.

"Where else would he be? In his meeting," Madhu replied with a sigh.

"I'm here, but still Dad..." Before he could say anything more, his phone rang. She sighed again and stood up, heading back to the kitchen, preferring not to get involved in the recurring argument between her son and his father. She busied herself preparing his breakfast. Meanwhile, a delighted smile spread across Arjun's face as he checked the caller ID. He moved aside to take the call.

"Hmm, tell me," he said, answering the phone.

"Have you reached?" the voice on the other end asked.

"Otherwise, how could I be talking to you?" he replied, his tone teasing.

"Is it necessary for you to be sarcastic all the time?" the person asked, clearly irritated.

"Is it necessary for you to ask such stupid questions?" he retorted, maintaining his playful sarcasm.

"Fine, I won't talk to you," the person said, about to disconnect the call.

"Ragini!!" he called out urgently, stopping her just in time.