Unveiling the Truth

Tanuja laughed when Meera told her what happened the day before.

"You're laughing?" Meera glared at her.

"What else should I do?" Tanuja asked, still laughing.

"It's so funny. Your engagement happened, and you didn't even know," she remarked, laughing even harder.

"Ha ha ha, very funny," Meera said with a fake smile as they walked to the exit of the university.

"Meera, don't you think that maybe Kabir likes you?" Tanuja asked.

Meera glared at her and replied, "Shut up! You say anything. Why would he like me? Didn't you hear? He has a girlfriend."

"Yes, but that..." Tanuja stopped and added, "Well... she could have been his girlfriend before."

"I don't want anything like that, Tanu. If he loves his girlfriend, why would I want him to leave her?" Meera replied innocently.

"Why can't it happen, Meera? First, he literally fell at your feet to apologize, then that romantic 'Sorry Date,'" Tanuja said dreamily.

Before Tanuja could say anything further, her eyes fell on Kabir. She nudged Meera and said, "Look, your hero is here."

Meera's heart skipped a beat. She turned and saw Kabir standing a few feet away, his usual confident demeanour replaced with an anxious expression as he glanced at her.

He took a step forward, then another, until he was standing right in front of her. "Hi, Meera," he said, his voice slightly hesitant.

Meera's cheeks flushed. "What are you doing here, Kabir?" she asked, trying to keep her tone neutral.

KABIR

Even though Meera was right in front of me, I couldn't tear my gaze away from her warm, captivating smile. I was lost in the charm of her presence until she called my name, jolting me out of my daze.
"Where are you lost?" she asked, a hint of curiosity in her voice.

"No, just thinking about something," I replied, my tone dreamily reflective.

"What?"
"How can someone be so beautiful?" I asked, my eyes lingering on her. She blushed under my gaze, her cheeks tinged with a delicate pink. Realizing she needed to steer the conversation, Meera shifted her focus. "You haven't told me yet—what are you doing here, Kabir?"

I mentally cursed myself for the flimsy excuse I had prepared. "I needed to talk to you about something," I said, hoping she wouldn't see through my weak pretext.

"Kabir, you need to talk to me?" Meera's eyes searched mine, her curiosity evident.

"Yes, actually," I continued, trying to keep my tone casual. "We've made a new cake, and I'd really love for you to try it and give me your review. Will you?"

Meera glanced behind her at Tanuja, who gave her a reassuring nod. "Alright, let's go," she agreed, her tone light.

I led her to the car, opening the door for her and helping her into the passenger seat. After she fastened her seatbelt, we drove to the café. Upon arrival, I quickly ushered her inside and handed her a piece of cake. Meera took a bite and, her curiosity piqued, scrutinized the cake's ordinary appearance.

"What's special about this, Kabir? It's just a normal sponge cake," she said, her brow furrowing.I shot a frustrated glance at Vishal, who was waiting by the counter. 

"Normal?" I said with exaggerated disbelief. "Vishal, what's going on? This isn't the cake I wanted."

Vishal flustered, hurriedly brought out another piece of cake, apologizing, "Meera ma'am, I'm really sorry. This is the one you should be trying."