Angry Birds

Meera felt a little let down. She was not sure why she was so affected by the presence of Kabir's girlfriend. Thinking of him and the times she had spent with him made her grin a little. Jubin's description of Kabir's kindness, politeness, and generosity had left her with particular feelings for him. As she recalled it, she smiled. She instantly closed her eyes as a flash of Kabir dancing with his girlfriend appeared in her thoughts.

"Ohoo! These days my lovely sister is always lost in someone's thoughts," came a voice from the door. Navya stood there with a pillow. She walked inside and sat on Meera's bed, noticing her sister looked a little upset.

"What happened, Di?" Navya asked, shifting closer.

"Nothing," Meera replied softly.

Navya wasn't satisfied with her reply. She made her look at her and insisted, "Tell me."

"I said nothing."

"Did handsome say something?" Navya asked innocently.

Meera glared at her and replied, "No one said anything, Chhota. Go to sleep."

Navya knew her older sister never confided in her about her troubles. She buried her head in Meera's lap in silence. Meera gently patted her forehead and began tapping her lightly to help her sleep. Navya soon drifted off, and Meera gave her a sweet kiss on top of her head. She moved Navya to the cushion next to her with affection and lay down beside her, patting her head as a mother would a newborn.

As Meera lay there, she couldn't help but think about the evening. The image of Kabir with his girlfriend tugged at her heart. She didn't understand why it bothered her so much, but she knew that Kabir had come to mean something to her. Maybe it was his kindness, the way he always smiled, or the way he made her feel noticed and important. Whatever it was, she realized that her feelings for him were growing stronger.

With Navya sleeping soundly beside her, Meera's mind wandered back to Jubin's words about Kabir's generosity and simplicity. She hoped that one day, she might have the chance to tell Kabir how much his friendship meant to her. As she drifted off to sleep, she held onto the hope that things would become clearer with time, and perhaps, she would find the courage to share her true feelings.

The following morning, Meera went to a pharmacy to get her father's prescribed medicines. As she waited for the chemist to prepare her order, she was startled to hear a familiar voice. When she turned around, she saw Kabir.

"Please hurry," he said, passing his prescription to the chemist.

"Hi!" she greeted him sweetly.

"Hi," Kabir replied, almost disinterested.

"Please hurry up, brother," he nearly shouted at the chemist. Meera had always seen Kabir with a cool demeanor and a serene smile, but she had never seen him so irritated.

"Is everything okay?" she ventured gently, concerned by his obvious distress.

"It's nothing," Kabir muttered without meeting her eyes.

Meera decided not to press further, sensing his need for space. She watched as he paced anxiously, his usual composure replaced by agitation. When the chemist handed him the bag of medicines, Kabir took it hastily and rushed out without another word.

Seeing him like this made Meera worry. Her mind raced with questions about what could have happened to shake him so deeply. Determined to find out and offer her support, she resolved to visit him later that evening. Perhaps she could bring some comfort or help with whatever was troubling him.

As she paid for her own order and left the pharmacy, Meera's thoughts remained with Kabir. She couldn't shake the image of his distressed face and the urgency in his voice. The rest of the day felt like a blur as she went through the motions, waiting for the evening when she could see him again and hopefully offer a listening ear.