Dreaming

She came back from the restaurant with a persistent smile on her face. She ran upstairs and was about to open the door to her room when she noticed Navya dozing off in her own room. Most likely, she had slept there while she awaited her. To avoid disturbing her sleep, she moved slowly into her room.

Her heart was still racing, and every moment she had spent with Kabir was still fresh in her mind. She removed her sandals and sat next to her bed, scrolling through her phone. She zoomed in on a picture of her and Kabir, her smile widening at the memory of the evening they had shared.

Just then, she received a message from him. A wide smile spread across her face.

"Reached home?" the message read.

"Just now," she replied.

"Thinking about me?" he asked, and she sent him blushing emojis. Almost immediately, her phone rang. She quickly turned the ringer to mute so that Navya wouldn't wake up and answered the call, slipping out to the balcony.

"Meera! If you keep blushing like this, how will things work?" he said playfully.

"Kabir!" she exclaimed, blushing even more.

"Uff! How will things work now?" he teased.

"You're teasing me. I'm hanging up," she said, though her voice was filled with laughter.

"Hey, wait, Meera..." he paused.

"Hmm, what is it?"

"Meet me before going to university tomorrow," he requested.

"Okay," she agreed, her heart fluttering at the thought of seeing him again so soon.

"Okay, good night, bye," he replied, and he disconnected the call. Meera looked at her phone as the call ended, a dreamy expression on her face. She moved back to her bed, sleep far from her eyes. Her gaze fell on her reflection in the mirror, and she could see how much she was blushing.

She lay down, her mind replaying every word, every smile, every touch they had shared. The night seemed to stretch on forever, filled with thoughts of Kabir and the promise of the new day that awaited them. The future felt bright and full of possibilities, and as she finally drifted off to sleep, her heart was light, and her dreams were sweet.

The next morning, Meera woke up early and went to the kitchen. She started preparing coffee for herself, humming a tune. She was startled when she heard a voice and turned around. Kabir was standing in front of her, clad in a body-hugging white shirt and blue jeans, with his arms folded.

"Kabir, you're here?" she asked as he came closer.

"If you miss me this much, how can I not come?" he said, making Meera blush.

"I didn't miss you," she lied. He walked up to her and pulled her into his arms.

"Then who were you singing for?" he asked.

Meera turned around and said, "I was just singing because I felt like it... you're too much," she said and realized that Arjun was standing before her, peering at her. She realised it was a dream.

"I never stopped you from singing. I just asked for some coffee," he said with a smile.

"Sorry Arjun, I... um..."

Arjun smiled and said, "It's good. Yesterday, you had a cloud of worries on your face, but now at least you're smiling."

"I'll make the coffee right away," Meera replied politely. When the two had their coffees, Meera went back to her room to get ready. As she entered, she found Navya staring at her, arms folded tightly across her chest.