| CHAPTER TWO | Grin of Revenge

| CHAPTER TWO; Grin of Revenge |
———————————————————

| CHAPTER TWO; Grin of Revenge | ———————————————————

RHAELYS NOW knew that her father and grandfather had died. Viserys had died not too long before her unexpected arrival, and only Aemond and Helaena had been reunited with Rhaelys. But Aegon hadn't the slightest idea that his old friend had returned from her banishment-like trip to Highgarden.

Rhaelys wouldn't say it to anyone, but she was excited for the war to come. She knew it meant death, and she only hoped for the death of her mother. For she would be at peace.

Aegon and Alicent rode in their carriage together, sitting in silence. Aegon knew that he was heading to his unwanted coronation, but he didn't know that a surprise guest would be attending. To stand right beside his sister's wife.

The two conversed and just after Aegon asked his mother if she loved him... "You Imbecile." She scoffed, looking at him as if he were stupid. "Do you have any clue who I have found to attend this very event?" She questioned him.

Aegon also scoffed, laughing blandly. Of course, she couldn't say it. "Who?"

"You'll know when you walk in." Was all that was spoken before the carriage stopped.

Aegon was getting ready for the coronation as everyone got into their expected spots. As Aemond, Helaena, and Rhaelys entered the Dragonpit with Alicent in front of them, everyone stared as if they had seen a ghost.

The Targaryen siblings knew that they were staring at their niece. Everyone knew she was gone, and everyone was under the impression that she had been kidnapped and murdered. Or perhaps at least sold off to a brothel. But that had been a simple rumor that Aegon himself had started drunkenly. He was missing his friend and felt that making a joke would lighten his spirits. It didn't.

Aemond looked to the girl to try and comfort her, seeing her as a mere child. Which she was, physically. But not mentally, and he hadn't learned that quite yet. But Rhaelys didn't spare him a look. He noticed the small smile on her face, diverting his gaze.

They reached the end, Alicent putting each child in their place. Aemond stood to the end, being Alicent's second youngest. Helaena was on his left, Rhaelys on her left. Otto had ordered for Rhaelys to be closest to the people. Despite Alicent's dismay.

Otto planned to use her as a power move. He knew word would get to Rhaenrya. It would seem as if they were the ones to steal her. It would send a good, threatening message. And what Otto didn't know, was that his plan would work so wonderfully...but also so horribly.

The bells rang loudly as people tumbled in excitedly, shoving each other greedily. Helaena grew anxious, and in the midst of it all, she chose for Rhaelys to be the one she found comfort in.

Just before the announcement was to be made, Helaena abruptly grabbed Rhaelys' hand and held it close to her. Rhaelys tried not to look shocked, only gently gripping the girl's hand and rubbing the back of Helaena's hand with her thumb.

"People of Kings Landing! Today is the saddest of days. Our beloved King, Viserys the Peaceful...is dead." Otto announced as loud as possible. "But it is also the most joyous of days, for as his spirit left us— he whispered his final wish that his firstborn son, Aegon should succeed him." Everyone gasped in shock, looking around at each other. What had happened to the Realms Delight? They asked themselves.

They then erupted in applause as the knights marched through to create a path for Aegon. Horns began to blow, the men lifting their swords. And Aegon emerged from the darkness, walking down the line slowly, glancing around. He was self-conscious, thinking everyone wished for Rhaenrya to sit the throne. His eyes with teary as he locked eyes with Rhaelys, looking at her through the corner of his eye as his mother placed a kiss on his forehead.

He watched as her eyes lit up, the girl throwing him the sweetest of smiles. She was relieved to see her favorite Uncle, her favorite, chosen companion.

Everyone watched as Aegon kneeled. The whole procedure continued, leading up to his crowning. Finally, Ser Criston placed the crown atop Aegon's head. Aemond stared in envy.

Aegon looked to Criston who bowed slightly, then to his mother who slowly did so as well. He then reached his beloved friend, Rhaelys. Rhaelys wasted no time bowing elegantly, nodding in encouragement as she began to stand up straight once again. Helaena took her time as she bowed, but she bowed nonetheless. And Aemond nodded immediately, no hesitance detected in his movements.

Otto then bowed.

"All heil his Grace, Aegon Second of his name, King of the Andals and the Roynar, and the First Men. Lord of the Seven Kingdoms...and protector of the Realm!" Aegon slwo turned to face them as the bells began to ring again. "Aegon the King."

They began cheering loudly, clapping happily. Aegon's eyes began to widen in utter shock. He lifted his sword in victory multiple times, increasing their cheers. He smiled wide and confidently extending his arms. Even Alicent couldn't help but smile.

Until— a dragon burst from the stone below the people. Rushing toward the king, crowing loudly. Everyone ran, Alicent pushed Aegon behind herself, pushing Criston toward Helaena. Aemond also moved to protect Helaena and Rhaelys. Holding his arms in front of the two, but Rhaelys also held her arm in front of Helaena. The two silently agreeing to protect the innocent dreamer with their life in front of Rhaenys' dragon, Meleys.

"Open the doors!" Otto yelled, repeating himself.

Meleyswas now face to face with Alicent who was standing bravely in front of her eldest. Rhaenys held eye contact with the Queen mother.

Everyone closed their eyes, except for Aemond and Rhaelys who gave each other a single glance before staring wide-eyed at the dragon who had just opened its mouth and let out an ear-scratching cry.

Rhaenys looked to her left just before she left, her smug smirk immediately disappearing as she noticed. It was Rhaelys! Her mouth formed into a frown, her eyes wide as the girl caught her eyesight.

Rhaenys stared at her as if she had been betrayed. At first, she thought that Rhaelys had been taken prisoner. But as a wickedly, haunting smirk crept up upon Rhaelys' beautiful features, Rhaenys knew the truth.

She turned Meleys around, leaving them to fly out easily.

———

| 2 |