| CHAPTER FIVE | The Queens Protector

| CHAPTER FIVE; The Queens Protector |
————————————————————

| CHAPTER FIVE; The Queens Protector | ————————————————————

NIGHTFALL HAD rolled around, and death was creeping forward.

Rhaelys intended on heading to Helaena, but first, she had business with Aemond. Her hair was down out of her braids, no longer dressed in her usual expensive dresses. But a dress that was more like a coat. Wide, thick long sleeves, the dress-like coat lined with a thin bit of fur. It was still fashionable, but easier to move around in. She preferred it in the night, due to the summers passing. It was getting quite cold in the castle at night.

She made her way down the hall, reaching Aemond's chamber. She stood in the doorway for a moment, listening in as she peaked through discreetly. They spoke of war plans. They were lucky that she was loyal to Aegon, Rhaelys thought. Or anyone could have listened in and ratted their plan out.

"And Alicent is simply— angry." Aemond spoke, stunting Rhaelys. Who took this as a chance to enter into the conversation.

"Alicent? Or rather, your mother." She announced herself, entering the room, and approaching the two men. "If I were the two of you, I would watch what schemes I hatch behind the Kings back..." She spoke defensively.

She understood that Alicent was angry. And rightfully so. Rhaelys could sense that Alicent didn't exactly trust Aemond.

But in truth? Neither did Rhaelys. She sensed a certain jealousy radiating off of Aemond when it came to Aegon. And while she did have a certain unspoken agreement of some sort of companionship with Aemond, she still favored Aegon over him.

She felt a need to protect him. He reminded her of a child. But despite that, she also resented him for the rumors she had heard of him. That he had raped that child that had been working in his service. She wondered, what was her name?

In the end, she knew that she couldn't fully trust Aemond. She knew that she would have to keep a close eye on Aegon and make sure that no one got into his head like Alicent and Otto had.

Certain people such as Larys, Ser Criston, and even Aemond. The King's brother.

"It's late, Princess. You should be abed." Ser Criston spoke softly to Rhaenrya's daughter. Who gave him a certain look that he recalled Rhaenrya having when they had been on that boat together all those years back.

"And you should be at your post, protecting the women of the castle. Yet...here you are, Ser." She answered calmly, meaning no harm by her sentence. Aemond gave Rhaelys a look to silence her, she smirked and shrugged in response. "My apologies, men. Carry on."