| CHAPTER SEVENTEEN | Tricking the Tricksters

| CHAPTER SEVENTEEN; Tricking the Tricksters |
———————————————————————

| CHAPTER SEVENTEEN; Tricking the Tricksters |———————————————————————

ALICENT WOULD VISIT RHAELYS that same night.

Since the Princess could no longer trust her Handmaidens, especially now that she actively hid the letter in her smallclothes, she would undress and dress herself. She'd been bathing herself, only allowing her ladies to do her hair. Due to the fact that she had never been taught how to braid hair.

If asked how she felt, she wouldn't say the truth. But she felt as if she had gone down in status. As if she were not a Princess. Due to the simple fact that her Servants had been changed.

A lady needed trustful servants, but disloyal, conniving ones who worked for another.

As the girl of ten and six slipped on her thin, lace shift, Alicent walked in unannounced.

Rhaelys would go on to choke on her own breath, placing a hand over her heart. At first, she thought it was a man. Unready for someone of the different gender to see her in such vulnerability.

No man had. Not even her late betrothed. Whenever he or one of his friends chose to rape her, they'd never take the time to de-clothe her, easily scrunching up her skirts.

"You must knock!" Rhaelys would mumble stressfully, brushing a stray, curly hair out of her face. "A man could have seen me, these are dangerous times we are living in."

Alicent looked at the girl in disbelief, "You say after undermining me in Council." She'd spit, "Even after I defended you so you would not feel alone in this situation."

The Queen knew that she could talk freely to Rhaelys. What could she do? Kill her? She the girl didn't have that kind of power, Alicent believed. And Alicent had little to nothing more to lose.

Rhaelys shook her head, smiling at the woman.

"What?" Alicent would raise her voice, taking 'threatening' steps toward the Velaryon. "You seem to think everything laugh-worthy."

"I believe you've lost your touch, my Queen." She'd reply, moving to lean on her bedpost, wrapping one arm around it. "Do you take me for a fool?"

The red-headed woman shook her head, "No." She spoke, "I take you for a child."

The girl's eyes widened, her head leaning back in offense. "A child who has sat in on Council, fought in battle. I've done more than some kings have done."