| CHAPTER TEN | Realization

| CHAPTER TEN; Realization |
——————————————

| CHAPTER TEN; Realization | ——————————————

SER CRISTON arrived late to the Council meeting of the day. The room was tense in distaste as he entered, Aegon giving Rhaelys a look of annoyance to which she shared as she looked to Aemond who then mirrored both of their facial expressions.

"Forgive my lateness." Criston spoke as he took his seat.

"Important business, no doubt." Aegon replied. After the conversation he had the night before with Rhaelys, he began to take his role much more seriously. And Rhaelys had a good feeling about it all. A feeling that would soon end come battle.

"You've appointed new knights to the Kingsgaurd, Your Grace." Ser Criston changed the subject.

"To replace those we lost." Aegon replied, playing with the Catspaw dagger.

"The last one needlessly, some might say."

Rhaelys looked to Jasper Wylde who sat on her left, pursing her lips. "Oh, yes. Quite terrible, if I may say." She agreed with him. Most everyone agreed, with the exception of Ser Criston and Aegon due to Ser Criston's words.

"Ser Arryk was awarded the great duty of ending Rhaenrya's challenge. He failed to discharge it."

"He failed because the scheme was rash." Alicent spoke her mind.

"Perhaps, Your Grace, but we cannot all hide in our castles. Waiting for war to come to us." Ser Criston defended himself, unable to give the Lady Mother a single look. Rhaelys didn't blame him. She knew of his shame and dishonor.

"As now it surely will."

"As now, it already has." Aemond finally spoke after keeping his silence throughout the whole Council meeting. "House Bracken it upon themselves to attack the Blackwoods. Who declared for the pretender." He explained his reasoning. "Lord Samwell Blackwood himself is slain."

"Good." Aegon cut his brother off. "First blood in our name."

"Both sides took heavy losses, Your Grace." The Lord Tyland tried to inform his King. "I'm not entirely certain we can declare this a victory."

"Indeed. Not one side won against the other. If I heard correctly, I do believe that almost everyone died in the battle of the Burning Mill." Rhaelys added on to what the Lannister man had to say.