| CHAPTER FIFTEEN | The Kings Chamber

| CHAPTER FIFTEEN; The Kings Chamber |
—————————————————————

| CHAPTER FIFTEEN; The Kings Chamber | —————————————————————

WHEN AEMOND passed by Rhaelys' chamber, he chuckled upon seeing the very young Handmaiden practically running past him to get away from the Princess's chambers as quickly as her small legs could take her. Holding her pink, slap-stained cheek. Rhaelys' hand mark on her youthful face.

Aemond and Larys knew that Rhaelys would exit her chambers if told specifically not to. Which was exactly why Aemond had sent the girl to her chamber. Hoping that she would find the letter that Rogar had reported to him about.

When nightfall came, Rhaelys ordered Rogar to take her to Aegon's chambers.

There she sat, in the chair right beside Aegon's bed. She had gently placed his hand into her own, letting it sit there. She did not wrap her fingers around his own, in fear that she would hurt him.

She listened to his harsh breathing as he lay limp in front of her. She felt horrible and extremely guilty for the way the battle had turned out. She knew that she didn't have to listen to Aemond, she knew that she could have stayed in the castle, and she knew that she could have convinced Aegon to do the same. She blamed herself.

Rhaelys Velaryon was out for blood, but she knew that she had to sit and wait for the perfect time. And this? This was entirely the wrong time.

Not once did Rhaelys wonder if she had taken the right side, she knew that she had sworn to the correct side. She only wished for the death of Aemond Targaryen, she wished for no one else to die, aside from him and her mother. And perhaps Ser Criston, for not defending Aegon, for going against Alicent in court.

Her eyes grew heavy with sorrow, staring lovingly at the scarily burnt man. He had always been beautiful, and he still was, she thought. Aemond had always been jealous of that. Even if Aemond was a beauty as well, it was known that Aegon had everything he wished for. And more.

"Aegon...my friend. I know you cannot hear me," She began, leaning on the side of his bed as she admired the burns on his face. Loving him even in his worst state, because that was what family was for. "But I have not given up. I love you, my Uncle. I know I never said it enough, and for that— I apologize." She spoke sweetly into his ear, breathing through her mouth so as to not smell the stench of burnt skin and blood.

Rogar watched closely, listening to her every word. Contemplating if he should recite it to the Prince. He had sworn vows, yes. But he hated the Prince already and felt evil telling Aemond of things that did not concern him.