1-10

Chapter 1: Through the Book Chapter 1: Through the Book
"Grandma, don't hit me, don't hit me, sister, sister..."

"Second sister, my eldest sister isn't moving. Is she dead? I'm scared, ah, ah ah ah ..."

The little girl and the boy trembled, hugged each other and cried loudly.

"Don't hit my child! Qin Dafeng, you old witch, stop it!" Zhang Guifang rushed into the yard from outside, pulled her mother-in-law, Qin Dafeng, away, squatted down and observed the girl lying on the ground with blood gushing from her forehead.

Seeing the girl's eyelids closed, her body motionless, and her chest without the slightest rise and fall, Zhang Guifang's face turned pale as snow. She carefully picked up the girl and put her index finger on her nose. She could not feel any breath and screamed in fear: "Qin Dafeng, you beat my daughter to death!"

Zhang Guifang kept slapping the girl’s face and shouting to her: “Xinxin, Xinxin, Xinxin, Xinxin, don’t scare your mother, open your eyes quickly and look at your mother, Xinxin, Xinxin, ah ah ah, my poor daughter, it’s your mother’s fault that I couldn’t protect you, my son, ah ah…”

Qin Dafeng held the rolling pin in her hand with great arrogance and shouted, "Shut up, this girl is pretending to be dead! Get up, you damn girl. If you continue to lie on the ground pretending to be dead, I will beat you until you get up!"

"Xinxin's nose is no longer steaming. She is really dead! Qin Dafeng, you are too cruel. You really have the heart to do that to her with such a thick rolling pin! Xinxin took your money just to read more books. Do you really have to beat her to death? At most, I will give you a hundred yuan!"

"Xinxin is your Tian family's beloved child! For ten yuan, you want to kill my daughter, you old witch, you murderer! My Xinxin, my mother's Dabao, you can't die, you can't die, ah ah ah, Qin Dafeng, you beat my daughter to death, you must pay for her life! Give me your life!" Zhang Guifang put her daughter down, got up and fought with Qin Dafeng, and did not forget to tell her youngest daughter and son: "Ermei, please ask the barefoot doctor to come to the house, Xiaolong, close all the doors, I'm going to close the door and beat the dog today!"

Tian Mei and Tian Xiaolong stopped crying and got up very cooperatively. Tian Mei ran out to call a barefoot doctor. Tian Xiaolong closed the back door of the front room and leaned against the door to watch the fight. His little body twitched from crying too hard.

Zhang Guifang snatched the rolling pin from Qin Dafeng's hand and retaliated by beating Qin Dafeng.

Qin Dafeng screamed, holding her head and circling in the yard, shouting as she ran: "Fellow villagers, come and see, the unfilial Zhang Guifang beat her mother-in-law, the unfilial Zhang Guifang beat her mother-in-law, oh my god, I'm going to die today, help, help..."

Tian Xin wanted to open her eyes to see who was yelling in her ears, but because of the pain all over her body as if all the bones were broken, she didn't even have the strength to open her eyelids. After trying for a while, she finally gave up and let herself fall into a deep sleep.

  ……

After sleeping for an unknown amount of time, Tian Xin finally opened her eyes. What she saw was dim light, triangular beams, old straw mats on the roof, and neatly arranged bamboo poles across the top of the beams... Where was this? Before she died, she lived in a hospital ward. Above her head was a white ceiling without beams. It was too shabby...

Tian Xin slowly turned her aching neck and looked around. What she saw were earthen brick walls, a rectangular table painted red, and a kerosene lamp with a glass lampshade placed on the table... This seemed to be a house from the 1980s or 1990s, which she had seen in movies and TV series... Tian Xin was startled and sat up without caring about her aching body.