Chapter 44

ROSALINE

With my right arm wrapping around him gently, I kissed him back, maintaining the softness and slowness of the kiss.

He leaned in even more, his tongue in my mouth as the kiss turned just slightly harder. I felt a hand on my waist as he leaned in, making me lean into the bed.

My back soon hit the soft bed, our lips soon interlocked and my heart still stupidly racing. Was he going to...

The kiss ended before I could finish processing that thought.

"Fuck" Russo cursed in that hot voice of his that made me feel hot instantly.

He pulled away and ran a hand through his hair.

"You always taste fucking sweet" He got up completely from the bed.

"But I probably shouldn't when you are still having cramps." He muttered underneath his breath before going to a couch and picking up his laptop.

"You prefer working in your study, right?" I asked, opening another box of chocolates.

"Yes but I am not leaving you so I will just stay here"

"If you ever do get married to a woman you love, I think she will be very lucky" I said, more to myself than to him.

"Rather than lucky, she would be damn unfortunate to end up with a man like me." Was his response and I shot him a stare which he ignored as he began working on his laptop.

AUTHOR'S POV

"Where's Tim?" Rick asked as Melinda settled beside him.

"Tim? He had something to do so I came alone tonight. Where's Rosaline? I thought she would be here with you" Melinda looked around the living room, seeing no trace of Rosaline.

No bag, no heels. Nothing that pointed to her being around the place.

"Maybe she forgot we were supposed to meet at my place tonight or maybe she just decided to avoid me" Rick shrugged at Melinda turned fully to him.

"Avoid you? Why would Rosaline ever avoid you?" She asked.

"I told her" Rick let out.

"Oh my! About your feelings?" Melinda's eyes widened.

"What else is there to tell her about?" Rick questioned.

"And what was her response?" Melinda asked with eager and curious eyes.

"Isn't it very obvious already what her response was? If it was positive, she would be here right now. Hell, if it was positive, I would have cancelled this night out to spend the entire night with her alone."

"So she... She just rejected you?"

"Quite so. Told me we should remain good friends and all... Friends? I am not satisfied with that label one bit" Rick groaned.

"I told you..." Melinda hit Rick's shoulder.

"You should have asked her out a long time ago! You would have gotten her if you had done so but you were being stupidly shy about your feelings. And trying to see if she liked you as much... If you told her back then, by now, the both of you would have been together. Stupid you. The bravest action you ever took about your feelings was choosing to drug her that night but you still let her go home alone after drugging her. Heavens... You can be annoying at times, Rick" Melinda shook her head.

"You won't understand, Melinda. Unless you are in this fucked up situation that I am in, you won't understand me one bit. Isn't my fear coming to reality? I feared our friendship coming to an abrupt end and that is what is going on already. If I didn't tell her about my feelings, she would have been here tonight. She's not even picking up my calls" Rick groaned.

"Fuck, that's bad. I will talk to her tomorrow" Melinda mumbled.

"You don't have to. I will find my way around this. I think she is dating some guy but I don't know who he is yet."

"Rosaline would definitely tell you if she is in a relationship. She always tells you and if not you, she tells me" Melinda replied.

"The guy you said she talked about?" Rick pointed out and Melinda sighed softly.

"She clearly told me she didn't like the guy romantically though."

"Last night, when I called her, some guy was touching her while I was on the fucking call. Rosa... Rosa was letting a man touch her while I was on the call with her."

Melinda's eyes widened for a moment but she took it calmly and reached for the glass of beer on the table. She poured herself a glass and took a big gulp of it.

"You are quite fucked up, really." She agreed.

"I need to at least find out who this guy she is going out with is but it seems like the guy just doesn't exist. These days, she doesn't meet with any man other than I, Tim and her uncle."

"Do you think her uncle could be...."

Rick shot Melinda a glare and then scoffed before grabbing a glass of beer.

"Her uncle? What are you thinking of, Mel? You think Rosa and her uncle would be fucking?"

"I think weirdly at times" Mel agreed with a chuckle and Rick took another gulp of the beer.

"You know I have never had sex?" Rick asked, staring up at nothing.

"What? Never?" Melinda looked at Rick with surprise on her face.

"Never. I want Rosa to be my first and I wanted to be her first too but I don't think that is possible anymore. But I don't mind. I really don't." he shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't mind being the second or the third or the fourth guy. I just want to be the last guy." He turned his gaze to Melinda.

"I really love Rosa. I really do love and want her..."

"I know you do..." Melinda reached her hand to Rick's hair and caressed it gently.

"I admire the way you love her, in fact. I wished I could be loved the same way."

Rick chuckled.

"Tim loves you a lot"

"Not the way you love Rosa" Melinda's voice turned soft.

"Everyone loves in a different way, I guess."

"Rick" Melinda called his name softly as she suddenly felt herself being drawn to Rick.

Their friend circle had been good all these years and she had barely felt attraction to anyone other than Tim but recently, she couldn't help it. Tim was good to her but she found herself desiring to be loved in another way. Desiring to be loved the way Rick loved Rosa.

"Don't worry" Melinda dropped her glass and cupped Rick's face in her hands. She wanted to stop herself from doing what she was aching to do right now but a glance at Rick's lips was enough to break the flimsy restraint she had built.

"Everything is going to be..." She moved closer to him while Rick just stared on.

"To be just fine" ending the sentence, she crashed her lips on Rick's lips.

TBC

Messed up friend circle FR