Chapter 13

Two maids placed golden bracelets on Fu Yixiao's wrists, their heavy weight pressing painfully against her skin.

Yixiao lifted her hand, her fingertips gliding along the mirror's surface. The woman in the bronze mirror exuded a unique allure. Her elaborate makeup masked her pallor but couldn't hide the gloom between her brows.

After her failed escape that night, the guards at the attic were reinforced. Early the next morning, after having her meal, Yixiao soon found herself weak and powerless again.

Today, the bridal escort team from the Jinxiu Dynasty would enter the borders of the Su Sha Kingdom. Feng Suige had forced her to go to the city tower to greet them.

"Choose either the city tower or the welcome banquet tonight," he said with a malicious smile, signaling the maids he brought to dress her up.

"Miss Fu looks truly beautiful when dressed up," one maid praised, "No wonder the prince cherishes you so much."

Since that false alarm, the news of the Su Sha prince falling for the Jinxiu captive had spread throughout the villa, with the story being revised numerous times. The part about Yixiao's injury had been entirely omitted, ultimately evolving into a touching tale of Feng Suige venturing into Jinxiu to retrieve his beloved. Gradually, the servants in the garden changed their address for Yixiao from "Captain Fu" to "Miss Fu."

"His affection is quite peculiar!" Yixiao said through gritted teeth.

While speaking, the maid fixing her hair secured the last hairpin, carefully inspecting it before nodding in satisfaction and stepping back. Another maid holding the garments quickly stepped forward to assist.

Yixiao's gaze fell on the coral-red brocade robe on the tray, her brow furrowing. "I don't want this one."

"Don't want it?" Feng Suige asked, stepping into the room. "I recall you always wore coral-red battle robes, so I assumed you loved this color. I had it made especially for you, and you don't want it?"

Yixiao lowered her eyelashes. "On this day, it's not me who should be wearing red."

"What's wrong with wearing red? It suits you," he said, approaching her side and inspecting her from different angles. "Why do you always keep such a plain face? Isn't this better?"

Yixiao turned her head to avoid his gaze. "I haven't worn this color since the war ended."

"And why is that?" Feng Suige asked curiously. "Such a bright color would stand out on the battlefield..." His tone grew cold, and a layer of frost appeared in his previously gentle eyes. "Did you use yourself as bait to lure the enemy? Don't you value your life?"

Yixiao simply gave him a faint smile. "I'm still alive."

Feng Suige raised an eyebrow and suddenly chuckled. "If you're trying to anger me, I'm afraid you're wasting your efforts. You don't like this outfit? Tsk, that's quite troublesome. Where am I supposed to find a suitable dress at this moment?" He looked her up and down with a mischievous glint in his eye.

Suddenly, Feng Suige reached out and pulled off his own belt. Yixiao tensed up, watching him warily.

He slowly took off his two-toned, gold-embroidered robe and draped it over Yixiao, smiling. "This one should fit."

Yixiao frowned and tried to push away the still-warm robe, but before she could, Feng Suige had already restrained her with an arm. She couldn't break free and angrily said, "Let me go! I'll wear the red one."

"No," Feng Suige whispered in her ear with a smirk, "I think this one suits you better."

Seeing that she was still struggling, he deftly kicked up the belt that had fallen to the ground, grabbed it, and tied her hands tightly with the robe. Amidst the maids' startled exclamations, he scooped Yixiao up and walked out.