Chapter 42

"Move it a bit over there! There! You blockhead!!! Not that way!"

On the veranda of the General's mansion, Xueying pointed at Xiumu, who was perched atop a ladder, her frustration evident as she stamped her foot. "Why is it so difficult for you to help with a simple task? Get down! I'll do it myself!"

Xiumu, looking dejected, held onto her skirt as she clambered down, whining all the while. "Miss, you keep saying 'there, there,' but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. How am I supposed to know which 'there' you mean? Besides, when have we ever... Ah!"

Before her feet touched the ground, she was yanked off the ladder by Xueying.

Xueying had already tucked the long hem of her skirt into her waistband to keep it out of the way. Ignoring Xiumu, who looked like she might faint, she began climbing the ladder herself, giving instructions as she went. "Xiumu, go stand at the corner over there. If anyone comes, especially my father, make sure to come and get me down quickly."

Xiumu agreed, then asked, "But what if the young master comes?"

"Stop calling him that," Xueying said, settling steadily at the top of the ladder to straighten the flower garlands that Xiumu had tangled. "We're not married yet, so he's not the young master. He went to pick up his parents this morning, so he shouldn't be back so soon."

Xiumu muttered under her breath, "You say not to call him that, but you're already calling his parents in-laws."

"What did you say!" Xueying snapped, turning her head sharply. "I heard that!"

Xiumu quickly waved her hands. "Miss, you heard wrong. I said aunt and uncle."

Seeing Xueying still glaring at her, Xiumu took a step back. "Uh, miss, should I go keep watch now?"

"Yes, go quickly," Xue Ying said, turning back to continue organizing the flowers, satisfied.

Ning Shuchen rounded the corner and saw this scene.

At the top of a tall wooden ladder sat a petite girl, arranging a large bundle of colorful flower decorations, muttering to herself all the while.

By conventional standards, she looked quite unrefined. Her long black hair was tied into a single braid that hung down her side, and her skirt was rolled up high, revealing her underskirt and pale ankles. She wore a pair of embroidered shoes with the heels flattened under her feet, which swayed loosely as she swung her legs. It was quite an amusing sight. 

After arranging everything, Xueying carefully stood up and began to hang the garlands along the eaves, segment by segment.

"...Father is really stingy, making me so short, making me—have to—climb so high just to hang some garlands and Mu always likes to hide the knife on the roof beam—ah!" Distracted for a moment, the garland in her hand slipped and fell straight to the ground. "So annoying!!!"

"Uh... do you need some help?" a gentle voice called from a distance.

Startled, Xueying looked over and saw a middle-aged scholar she didn't recognize, and she let out a sigh of relief. Then she frowned slightly. "Uncle, are you here for the wedding? Did you see anyone when you came in?" 

Ning Shuchen smiled when she called him 'uncle.'

"I just arrived. I came from the front courtyard. Seeing everyone busy, I thought I'd walk around and see if anyone needed help."

"Well, that's perfect. Uncle, are you good on your feet? If so, come up and help me. If not, then forget it." Without waiting for Ning Shuchen to respond, she pointed to the fallen garland. "First, help me pick up that garland."