Chapter 62

Suddenly, a cheer erupted from a group of soldiers descending the mountain, "Your Highness is unharmed! They are still alive!"

Ning Fei, elated, left Feng Xiyang behind and dashed towards the source of the commotion.

In the hazelnut grove in the valley, the interwoven shrubs and tree trunks had softened the impact of the water flow, and a few people had managed to climb onto the nearest tree trunks.

"Your Highness," Xiao Weiran coughed violently and called out, "Are you injured?"

Xia Jingshi shook his head and remained silent.

Xiao Weiran suppressed his frustration and eventually complained, "Even if the hairpin was lost, you should have explained it to her. She wouldn't have said much..."

Xia Jingshi vaguely smiled, "At that moment, I didn't expect to fall—Alright, conserve your strength," he said, then fell silent.

Xiao Weiran had no choice but to turn and attend to the other two generals.

The torrential rain subsided after over an hour, and the raging yellow floodwaters also showed signs of fatigue.

Ning Fei and several strong soldiers, holding hands, waded through the waist-deep muddy water and slowly approached the hazelnut grove to retrieve the exhausted Xia Jingshi and the others.

Feng Xiyang, her eyes red from crying, stood aside, still sobbing uncontrollably. When she saw Xia Jingshi in a disheveled state looking at her, she cried even harder, "Are you alright... I didn't mean to fling the hairpin away..."

Hearing the mention of the hairpin, Xia Jingshi's expression grew colder. He slowly extended his hand towards Xiyang, revealing half of the water-blue glass hairpin lying quietly in his palm. "It's broken. Are you satisfied now?"

Xueying, who was anxiously watching from the side, gasped in disbelief, "It was because of this hairpin?!"

Xia Jingshi did not respond. He retracted his hand and slowly walked away amidst the crowd.

***

The annual martial arts tournament of the Kingdom of Su Sha.

Various tents had been set up around the stands, with the closest ones to the King, Feng Qishan, occupied by royal family members and high-ranking officials. Domestic dignitaries were seated in order.

"Actually, I really dislike such occasions," Feng Suige said with a faint smile as she watched the ceremonial officer sweating under the sun while reading the King's decree.

He remarked to the uninterested Yixiao, "Because I always have to listen to that officer's saw-like voice. It's really grating."

"Why do we have to hold such a grand meeting and force me to attend? It turns out to be unbearably boring," Yixiao asked with frustration.

"Because I am the Prince Regent," came the simple and straightforward answer.

In Yixiao's view, the focus of this meeting was not on the martial arts competition but on his attendance. Now, as a rising star, every move he makes is the center of external attention. If he doesn't attend, it may be taken as defiance or cowardice.

The horns in the field sounded, signaling the start of the martial arts competition, and various groups began to enter the venue. According to the tradition of the Su Sha Kingdom, any type of weapon could be used in the martial arts competition, and the winner could be conferred the title of a first-class general.

Feng Suige pointed solemnly at a young general who was riding into the field. "He is Marquis Dengxin Ye Duanfang."

Yixiao glanced at him and became serious. "You mentioned him last time. Is there a problem?"

Feng Suige suddenly resumed his playful demeanor. "Do you want to defeat him?"

"No," Yixiao replied without hesitation. "I will not train sharp shooters for the Su Sha Kingdom."

Feng Suige immediately put on a heartbroken expression, clutching his chest and lamenting, "You ask me not to give up on you, but you are going to hand me over to someone else."

Yixiao was stunned for a moment, then shuddered with a look of disgust. "If you marry a male consort, you will never touch me again."

Feng Suige nearly fell off his large chair. Ignoring the curious looks from those around him, he pointed at Yixiao, unable to contain his laughter and frustration.

"What on earth are you thinking?" Yixiao glared back at him. "Didn't you say I was going to give you to him?"

Feng Suige was exasperated and took a deep breath, enunciating each word, "I said hand me over to someone else."

Yixiao continued to argue, "You were talking about him, then you said if you lost, you would hand yourself over to someone. Isn't that giving you to him?"

At this moment, Gu Yu, who was beside them, chuckled. "You could hand him over to his sisters." 

Feng Suige and Yixiao turned to look at him in surprise. "Gu Yu?"

The difference was that Feng Suige was surprised, while Yixiao was shocked.

Seeing the attention, Gu Yu happily continued, "There are also the maidservants in the mansion, and the cooks..."

Yixiao had already slid off the large chair laughing, while the veins on Feng Suige's forehead bulged as he struggled to stop Gu Yu from continuing.

He dragged Yixiao to an empty corner outside the tent.

"Idiot!" Feng Suige cursed softly, then kissed her hard. Between the relentless kisses, he said intermittently, "I originally... didn't want to tell you this, but seeing you acting so carefree, I'm afraid you'll really sell me off without realizing it..."

Yixiao awkwardly responded to his intense kiss, causing Feng Suige's breath to falter.

His hand covered Yixiao's waist, his expression gentle and subtle. "After this matter is settled, I want to make up for our wedding night," he said with a blush.

Yixiao's eyes shone brightly as she glared at him. "Can't you think of anything else? You haven't finished your sentence. Don't change the subject."

"Yixiao, listen. Father's intention is that if Marquis Dengxin wins the archery contest, I might have to..."

"Another political marriage," Yixiao finished steadily. "Is that right?"

Feng Suige nodded and gave a mischievous smile. "If you don't want to see me flirting with another woman, you have to win this competition for me. I used to protect you, now it's your turn to protect me."

Yixiao stared at him for a moment, then suddenly bared her teeth at him.

"Don't even think about it," she said, pushing him away with a smile and running off before he could react.

Midway through the event, while waiting for the next round, a sturdy warrior approached Feng Suige's tent, knelt before it, and loudly announced, "Your Highness, Xuan Xiang, requests instruction from the Lady Consort!"

The crowd erupted in surprise, even Feng Qishan looked over in astonishment.

Xuan Xiang, due to Xia Jingshi's influence, had been demoted and had much of his wealth confiscated after the wedding banquet. This martial arts competition was his chance to restore his reputation. No one expected him to challenge Yixiao directly upon entering the arena.

As Yixiao was about to stand up, Feng Suige grabbed her hand and commanded in a low voice, "Gu Yu, you go."

Gu Yu responded, stood up, and slowly walked out with his unique, deliberate steps, entering the square.

Xuan Xiang was momentarily stunned but didn't dare to defy Feng Suige. He hesitated and said, "Your Highness..."

Feng Suige smiled slightly, "If you can defeat Gu Yu, then you can challenge Yixiao."

"Will Gu Yu be alright?" Yixiao asked, a bit uneasy.

Feng Suige crossed his legs and leaned back comfortably in his chair. "Don't worry, with his bravery and strength, handling Xuan Xiang will be a piece of cake."