Chapter 110

Looking at Xia Jingshi's solemn expression, Feng Suige was deeply moved. He understood that this was the greatest tolerance and concession Xia Jingshi could offer. Just when he thought Xiyang would readily agree, the uneasy Feng Xiyang, leaning against him, moved slightly and raised her face, saying, "Then, husband, could you first promise me one thing?"

"What is it?" Xia Jingshi asked. "Tell me. If it's something I can do, I will do my best."

"Please promise me first," Feng Xiyang insisted stubbornly. "It's something simple that you can definitely do."

Xia Jingshi subtly frowned but neither agreed nor refused. Seeing this, Feng Suige quickly intervened with a smile, "It's been so long since we've seen each other, how did Xiyang become so picky? Just say it, let your brother hear what simple thing you are so concerned about."

Xiyang thought for a moment, her face filled with worry, before lowering her head and softly saying, "Please promise me that you will never see or contact Fu Yixiao again."

"Xiyang," Feng Suige chided gently, "you are being too unreasonable."

"I am not!" Feng Xiyang straightened up and shouted softly, "Don't you think that all the hardships we've endured are because of her?"

Before Feng Suige could reply, Xia Jingshi coldly spoke, each word clear and deliberate, "You're wrong. Everything that happened was actually because of you."

Feng Suige was stunned, and Xiyang stared in disbelief, finally trembling as she asked, "Why me?"

Xia Jingshi looked at her for a while and then smiled, "It's pointless to say more now. Just consider my words as spoken in anger. But I cannot agree to your request." He paused briefly and then continued, "Moreover, don't you think it's very rude to make such a request?"

The atmosphere in the room seemed to freeze.

"They're here," came the sound of hurried footsteps approaching. The guards outside the lodge rushed in, "The Princess has safely returned."

Xia Jingshi said nothing and turned to walk outside.

Feng Suige comfortingly patted Xiyang's shoulder and stood up, "You should rest a bit more; we'll be leaving soon."

"Brother," Feng Xiyang called out in despair, "I just..."

Feng Suige paused and sighed, "Talk to him properly once we leave Jinxiu. This is something your brother cannot help you with."

"Your Highness!" As Xia Jingshi arrived at the front yard, Ning Fei, who had just been released from the prison cart, ran towards him with joy, ready to kneel.

Xia Jingshi quickly stepped forward to support him, smiling, "No need for formalities, save your strength."

Ning Fei grinned and chuckled, looking him up and down before casually patting Xia Jingshi on the shoulder. "This outfit suits you well, Your Highness!"

Feng Suige, following closely behind, couldn't stop Ning Fei in time. Ning Fei's heavy hand had already landed solidly on Xia Jingshi, causing him to wince and lightly cough, stepping back slightly and holding his chest.

"Ning Fei!" Yixiao, pale-faced, ran up from behind. "How can you be so reckless..."

Xia Jingshi quickly raised his hand to stop her mid-sentence. "It's nothing, just a bit winded," he said, looking towards the few gathered subordinates. Despite being imprisoned for some time, they looked spirited if a bit disheveled, which comforted him. "Take this time to rest; we'll be leaving soon."

On the city wall, the night guards had just changed shifts. The relieved soldiers were grumbling as they moved to the sheltered corner near the city gate.

"Damn it, bullying me just because I'm new. Spit! Let me catch a chance to get promoted, then I'll show you—hey, you slack off, so can I."

He squeezed into a comfortable spot in the shadows and barely closed his eyes when he was startled awake by noises coming from the palace road. He opened his eyes suspiciously.

With the sounds approaching, two palace lanterns appeared at the dark end of the street, drawing closer with a convoy. The soldier squinted at the lantern bearer for a long while, rubbed his eyes in disbelief, and then called out quietly, "Eunuchs?"

The thought flashed in his mind, and he jumped up, running out from the shadows and kneeling by the palace road.

A sturdy horse carrying an officer trotted out of the convoy and stopped beside him. The officer on horseback spoke haughtily, "What's going on? Weren't you told earlier that His Majesty would be leaving the city and that the gates should be opened at this time?"

Hearing the mention of the emperor, the soldier was filled with apprehension, but being unaware of the full situation, he replied with a bitter expression, "I truly didn't know, perhaps the previous shift forgot to inform us before leaving. I..."

The military officer snorted, "Stop dawdling and go open the city gates immediately. If you delay any further and anger His Majesty, you'll be the first to be punished!"

"Yes, sir," the soldier responded respectfully, bowing deeply before standing up and running a few steps. Suddenly, he stopped, turned back, and scrutinized the officer. "You seem unfamiliar, sir. Are you newly promoted? Isn't Commander Miao of the Imperial Guards supposed to be on duty in the inner city tonight? Why isn't he accompanying the Emperor?"

"How dare you!" the officer reprimanded sharply. "The defense of the inner city is none of your concern!"

The soldier felt a twinge of fear but sensed something was amiss. Smiling obsequiously, he bowed and said, "Please calm down, sir. Opening the city gates at midnight is a significant matter. I am of low rank and cannot make this decision. Please wait a moment while I go up to the tower and..."

"Why is it taking so long?" an annoyed voice from the convoy interrupted. The soldier stood dumbfounded as the officer hurriedly dismounted and rushed to the first carriage, kneeling. "Your Majesty, there was a problem with the outer city's handover, and the night guard is being reluctant to let us pass."

"Oh?" came the sound of rustling clothes from inside the carriage.

A sharp attendant stepped forward, lifting the curtain. Warm, soft yellow light spilled out, illuminating the occupant's bright yellow silk robe.

"Your Majesty!" All the soldier's doubts vanished, and he kneeled, trembling. "Long live Your Majesty!"

"You have quite the nerve," Xia Jingshi said coldly, lowering his voice, "to obstruct my passage." 

The soldier prostrated himself, unable to move, pleading, "Mercy, Your Majesty, I recognize my mistake..."

Xia Jingshi gave a slight snort. "Very well, you were just doing your duty." After a pause, he commanded the officer, "Go."

With that simple word, Xia Jingshi retreated back into the carriage.

The soldier remained frozen on the ground, drenched in cold sweat, as the convoy resumed its movement. The sounds of wheels, hooves, and hurried footsteps passed by, but he dared not lift his head.

Suddenly, sharp whistles echoed from the inner city, and several signal flares exploded against the deep blue sky, turning the night red.

It was the emergency signal summoning the Imperial Guard into the city!

The inner city was under attack!?