Chapter 105

"Rise," the Emperor said dismissively, waving his hand. He called to a palace attendant waiting outside, "Find out who presented that zither to me and have them flogged forty times."

The attendant promptly obeyed and quickly retreated.

Seeing Yixiao startled, the Emperor smiled and motioned for her to sit. "I heard during the day that you angered the Princess Consort of Zhennan into attempting suicide. It seems the animosity between you two has deep roots."

Yixiao composed herself and got straight to the point, "Forgive my bluntness, Your Majesty. Did you not summon me here to discuss the matter of Prince Zhennan?"

"You're always in such a hurry," the Emperor said leisurely as he stood up. "Very well, you two will meet eventually."

Upon hearing the summons, the warden quickly came out. "Greetings, Your Majesty..."

The Emperor didn't respond, instead, he looked with interest at Yixiao's suddenly frozen face in the dim light of the corridor. "What, you don't want to see him anymore?"

Yixiao stood there stiffly, her natural night vision allowing her to easily see Xia Jingshi sitting against the wall behind two iron bars at the end of the corridor. His once immaculate white robe was now stained with dirt and blood, and his usually neat black hair hung in disarray, partially covering his gaunt face. And he was awake!

Without waiting for Yixiao's answer, the Emperor curiously stepped closer to see her expression. Almost simultaneously, Xia Jingshi's deep voice came from the end of the corridor, "You're here." 

The Emperor's attention was immediately drawn to him, but before he could respond, Yixiao had already started running forward. "Your Highness..."

In an instant, the only sound in the dark prison was Yixiao's hurried footsteps echoing through the corridor.

"Yixiao?" Xia Jingshi's unsure voice escaped from his cracked lips. The next moment, he struggled to get up, stumbling to the iron bars. The chains clashed against the bars, producing a sharp clang. "Yixiao, is it you?"

"Your Highness!" Yixiao threw herself against the iron door bound with chains, shaking it with all her might. "How are you, Your Highness..."

"Why are you here? What about Weiran, what about him..." Xia Jingshi glared viciously at the Emperor not far away. "You despicable scoundrel! Is this the only kind of vile, low act you're capable of?"

"Ah, reunited lovers. Instead of exchanging sweet nothings, why are you getting angry at me?" The Emperor stood a short distance away, chuckling softly. "Fu Yixiao, do you want to go in?"

"Open the door!" Yixiao shouted.

"Get out!" Xia Jingshi roared. "What are you doing here?"

The Emperor made a gesture to the warden trailing behind him, who quickly stepped forward to open the first door.

As Yixiao was about to follow him towards the second door, a sudden clang was heard. It was Xia Jingshi, whose manacled hand had grabbed the iron bars. "Fu Yixiao, this is between him and me. Who asked you to meddle in our affairs!"

The warden nervously clutched the key, glancing at Xia Jingshi, then at Fu Yixiao, and finally at the Emperor.

The Emperor stood there with his hands behind his back, glaring fixedly at Fu Yixiao.

"Open the door," Yixiao commanded, enunciating each word.

"No," Xia Jingshi shouted, his usually serene and pure eyes now ablaze with chaotic flames. He looked deeply at Yixiao, his voice gradually lowering, "I'm begging you, please... just go back to his side."