Chapter 27

Feng Qishan hummed softly and glanced at Feng Suige. He had known since the time Fu Yixiao moved into Shuihui Garden that these old scholars would soon be unable to resist jumping out. So, he had been patient and waited for this moment.

Feng Suige stared directly at the ethereal incense burner emitting wisps of smoke in the hall and coldly remarked, "It seems Master Lu is getting old and forgetful. It seems he is no longer suitable to serve the court. You should start drafting your resignation today."

Master Lu was taken aback and hurriedly interjected, "I only raised this matter out of security concerns. If this person is a spy planted by Jinxiu..."

Feng Suige interrupted him with a cold laugh, "So you're questioning Father."

Feng Qishan raised an eyebrow, "What is it that you're questioning me about?"

Feng Suige calmly stepped forward, bowed respectfully, and said, "This person was requested by Father from the Prince of Zhennan's side. Master Lu apparently believes that Father has left a foreign spy around me."

Master Lu immediately knelt down pale-faced and exclaimed, "Your Majesty, I never meant such a thing!"

Feng Qishan smirked slightly, "The prince takes a jest too seriously, and Master Lu is overly cautious."

With these words, the courtiers, who had been holding their breath, suddenly breathed a sigh of relief and began jokingly chiming in.

Master Lu forced a smile, "The prince's authority is awe-inspiring, and I naturally feel apprehensive."

Once the discussion in the hall quieted down a bit, Feng Qishan asked, "Regarding this matter, what do you all think would be the most appropriate course of action?"

The civil and military officials in the hall immediately fell silent. Master Lu's face had turned slightly purple; originally, he had discussed this privately with a few censors and planned to present it himself, with others joining in later. However, Feng Suige's words had scared them all back. If they backed down now, it would be humiliating.

Determined, Master Lu kowtowed and said, "I still believe this woman should be confined."

"Sometimes being too stubborn is not a good thing," Feng Suige said coldly, each word dripping with ice.

Feng Qishan furrowed his brow, "Master Lu's words are not entirely unreasonable. Suige, don't be willful—Master Lu, rise."

Only then did Master Lu wipe the cold sweat from his forehead, stand up, and retreat to the side.

Hearing the implicit support in the monarch's tone, several other ministers subsequently stood up. Hindered by Feng Suige's attitude, they carefully worded their expressions, but their intent remained clear—to support the solitary confinement of Fu Yixiao.

Feng Suige listened quietly, understanding that these ministers were not being unreasonable. If it were someone else, he might not have objected, and he might have been the first to anticipate this issue. But they were discussing Fu Yixiao—the same Fu Yixiao whose happiness had just been thwarted by his own father and sister.

And he, too, had been an accomplice.

"Father," Feng Suige finally spoke.

The bustling noise around them suddenly subsided, and all eyes were either directly or subtly fixed on him. After all, he was the future monarch of this country, their future king.

"Everyone knows how Fu Yixiao came to stay. I understand Father's intentions, but..." He lifted his head to meet Feng Qishan's eyes directly. "Father, do you not feel ashamed to confine her now?"