Chapter 96

Xueying was still staring blankly at her hands when the medic withdrew his fingers from her wrist, stood up, and respectfully said, "The general's wife's pulse is calm; she should be fine. I will prepare a few more decoctions to prevent any potential issues."

Hearing this, Yixiao breathed a sigh of relief, her strength gone, and she knelt down, clutching her abdomen.

"The first time killing someone is always like this; you'll get used to it," she said after sitting for a while. As the people around them gradually dispersed, seeing Xueying still in a daze, Yixiao consoled her, "I didn't even notice he had something in his hand. How did you see it?"

"I saw the look in his eyes," Xueying replied, still shaken, "But I didn't intend to kill him—are you okay?"

"Consider me lucky. He jabbed right into this," Yixiao said, frowning as she straightened up and rummaged at her waist, pulling out a silk pouch. She shook it at Xueying; it was the pouch that contained arrowheads.

"Then why were you rolling on the ground earlier?" Xueying chided, "You made me think something terrible had happened to you."

"Injustice," Yixiao grimaced and threw a clod of dirt, "Try getting poked and see how it feels."

Unwilling to be outdone, Xueying picked up the clod and threw it back, "Bring it on. Have him stand up, and we'll do it again."

They glared at each other for a moment before bursting into laughter.

After returning to the camp, the furious Feng Suige almost executed the remaining three Yulin guards on the spot.

It took Yixiao nearly half an hour to persuade Feng Suige to agree to have the three escorted back to Su Sha for further punishment. After slightly calming down, Feng Suige briefly recounted the information he had gathered and solemnly said, "Everything is too quiet, so quiet that it's abnormal. I always feel something is amiss..."

Before he could finish, there was a sudden commotion outside. A Su Sha guard came running at top speed, shouting, "Your Highness, someone is outside..."

Yixiao quickly stepped forward and asked, "What's the matter?"

The guard pointed back, "Two brothers from the Royal City are here; they have urgent news for the Princess."

Yixiao hesitated for a moment and looked at Feng Suige, who nodded, "Bring them in."

The guard turned and left.

Yixiao, worried, softly asked, "Could they have been sent by the Holy Emperor?"

"Possibly," Feng Suige frowned, "We're already very close to the Royal City; he might have discovered our whereabouts."

As they speculated, two men dressed as commoners followed the previous guard and walked in with large strides.

Yixiao exclaimed softly and ran towards them, "Why are you here?"

Before the two could salute, Yixiao pulled them up by their arms, "Stand up and speak—"

And before she could finish, one of them showed a pained expression. She quickly released her grip and asked in alarm, "What happened? How did you get injured? What's going on?"

The guard rubbed his arm indignantly, "The Holy Emperor fabricated charges and detained His Highness. We protected Deputy General Xiao and escaped through the secret tunnels."

Yixiao was shocked, and before she could ask more questions, the other man took out a sealed envelope from his bosom and presented it to her. "This is a personal letter from Deputy General Xiao. Please have a look, Princess!"

Yixiao took the letter and had just read a few lines when Feng Suige suddenly snatched it from her hand.

He quickly skimmed through the inked words and said flatly, "I'm afraid this handwriting is Xiao Weiran's, but the person who wrote it is not him."

Everyone was stunned as Feng Suige slowly asked Yixiao, "Have you forgotten how you and I were forced to jump into the river?"

Yixiao opened her mouth but couldn't find the words to reply.

Feng Suige, with a half-smile, pulled her close and traced her lip line with his finger, "Besides, what does Xia Jingshi's fate have to do with us, right?"

Just as Yixiao was about to protest, Feng Suige pinched her waist, and she swallowed her words.

The soldier glared at Feng Suige, "Since when does Su Sha have a say in Jinxiu's affairs? You're just hoping His Highness will be gone soon, so there will be one less obstacle when Su Sha attacks Jinxiu!"

Feng Suige, unfazed, smiled slightly, "She is my consort, so her matters are mine. As for Xia Jingshi, well, you make a good point. I'll accept that."

"Princess!" the other soldier pleaded softly, "His Highness has always treated you well... please, for old times' sake, help us rescue him."

Feng Suige sneered, "Have I treated her poorly? You should leave. I won't allow her to do such a thing."

They stood silently for a moment, seeing Yixiao still quiet. The soldier with the letter stomped his foot, pulled his companion, and said, "Stop begging. Don't forget, her status is different now. How could she remember old affections?" He glared at Yixiao angrily, "Let's go back. I don't believe Deputy General Xiao can't come up with a proper solution!" 

The two men left without saying goodbye, like a gust of wind. Before they had gone far, Yixiao grabbed the letter back and angrily asked, "What do you mean?"

Feng Suige made a shushing gesture, summoned two guards, and whispered, "Go, take some men and follow them from a distance. Make marks along the way. Once you see where they go, report back quickly!"

In the countryside, several men dressed as household guards cautiously escorted an inconspicuous makeshift carriage. The curtain was suddenly lifted, revealing the slightly pale profile of the owner. "Deputy General Xue, speed up. I'm fine..."

"No," Deputy General Xue replied firmly. "The brothers have already gone searching in three directions as you ordered. No matter how fast we go, we can't be faster than them. Just rest. There should be news soon."

Xiao Weiran sighed, "The situation is unclear. How can I be at ease? I just hope they don't miss Yixiao."

As he spoke, the sound of horse hooves clattered on the forest path. Deputy General Xue walked forward and, after a moment, exclaimed joyfully, "It's our men—they're back!"

With a swish, Xiao Weiran flung open the curtain and, supporting himself on the carriage wall, was about to jump down. Deputy General Xue quickly turned back to help him.

"They must have met Yixiao," Xiao Weiran said with a look of joy. "Otherwise, they wouldn't have returned so soon."

Deputy General Xue, smiling broadly, carefully supported Xiao Weiran, repeatedly agreeing, "I told you, Deputy General Xiao never makes mistakes!"

Seeing Xiao Weiran coming to meet them, the two soldiers dismounted from their horses and knelt, calling out, "Deputy General Xiao."

Noticing their dejected expressions, Xiao Weiran felt a pang of dread and asked, "Did you see Yixiao?"

The two soldiers glanced at each other and knelt before him. One of them sobbed, "We did, but she refused to help."

Both Xiao Weiran and Deputy General Xue were stunned and asked in unison, "Why?"

The other soldier, his face flushed, shouted, "She came with Feng Suige from Su Sha. That Feng Suige, he—he can't wait for His Highness to be in trouble..."

"What? Feng Suige is there too?" Xiao Weiran exclaimed. "Tell me everything that happened."

The two soldiers, filled with righteous indignation, recounted the events in detail. Listening quietly, Xiao Weiran's frown gradually eased, and by the end, he was smiling. Finally, he turned to Deputy General Xue and commanded with a smile, "Change direction. Follow their route—Feng Suige's involvement has greatly increased our chances of success!"