Chapter 30

Everything was kept simple, this being the sole request of Fu Yixiao. However, this was also the regent prince's first formal wedding ceremony for his consort. Despite the Sovereign Lord Feng Qishan's dissatisfaction with the marriage arrangements, everything was done according to protocol.

At the prince's residence, lanterns were hung everywhere, cups and plates were exchanged, and there was music, dance, and general festivity. The meticulously planned group dance performances by skilled musicians playing various instruments like sheng, xiao, qin, pipa, zheng, guzheng, jia gu, and hu jia were breathtaking. Agile performers presented a lively and interesting Wu Fang Lion Dance, garnering applause from the assembled courtiers.

Intentionally fueled discussions among the guests focused most on the consort's alleged infidelity before marriage and her humble origins.

One noblewoman, not holding back, loudly remarked, "She climbed out of the bed of a lowly military officer straight into the prince's arms. Such shameless and despicable behavior is perhaps a once-in-a-millennium event throughout the world."

Feng Qishan listened attentively from his elevated seat, coldly smiling as he adjusted his sleeves discreetly.

Although he had conceded and agreed to appoint Fu Yixiao only as a side consort, the struggle for power and favor in the court was not something a lowly-born military officer could easily handle. Let her revel in her momentary triumph.

The wedding ceremony finally commenced.

The earlier discussions did not reach Fu Yixiao's ears, but as she walked on the red carpet laid out, she keenly felt the envy and resentment from those around her. Especially Feng Qishan directly in front, his gaze sharp as a dagger, seemingly wanting to puncture countless transparent holes in her.

She smirked inwardly. Everyone thought she was staying in Su Sha for the sake of Feng Suige's current or future power. She wondered if he would also come to think the same way in the long run.

Perhaps that's how it is perceived by the world—only a celestial beauty like Feng Xiyang could be deemed worthy of His Highness.

***

Since the departure from Jinxiu, His Highness had already instructed Xiumu to inform Uncle Ling to attend his wedding banquet in Lu City.

Presumably, Ning Fei had already approached Uncle Ling with the request to marry Xueying, and Uncle Ling would surely agree without hesitation. Only outsiders could see that Uncle Ling had completely lost his temper towards his seemingly delicate daughter, eager to find a good family to marry her off too soon.

"Xueying, you must help me remember how happy I once was. I can't recall it anymore, but you must help me remember. You must help me remember..."

Suddenly, her left hand tightened. She looked down instinctively and saw Feng Suige holding her left hand tightly, transmitting his warmth. He calmly held her hand, facing countless sharp gazes together.

Sensing her gaze, Feng Suige turned his face and smiled at her. The light in his smiling eyes flickered for a moment, then he turned back indifferently, letting the comfort in his eyes turn into faint disappointment.

Even on her wedding day, Yixiao's hair was only adorned with a hairpin wound with a single thread of phoenix pearl. If not for the Xiapei embroidered with golden clouds and dragon patterns, no one would believe she was the protagonist of this wedding ceremony.

But that didn't matter.

The wedding proceeded smoothly, at least on the surface.

It was an awkward celebration. The illustrious aristocrats praised the prince, who possessed majestic bearing, with all the respect due to his subjects, yet they also arrogantly looked down upon the woman who was soon to become the prince's concubine.