Chapter 16

Feng Qishan furrowed his brow as Feng Suige walked away, then turned to Fu Yixiao. "Earlier, Captain Fu seemed to have heard something interesting. Why not share it with me and make me laugh?"

Fu Yixiao remained composed without a hint of panic and replied steadily, "I was merely pondering the deeper meaning in Your Majesty's words. I momentarily lost control of myself. Please forgive me, Your Majesty."

Feng Qishan showed a slight smile but his words were cold, "It's rare that you're also an insightful person. I'll be straightforward. Before Xiyang's mother passed away, I promised her that I would ensure Xiyang's happiness. Therefore, I hope that after Xiyang marries into Jinxiu, you can stay in Su Sha."

Fu Yixiao's eyebrows twitched slightly, and she answered calmly yet firmly, "If Your Majesty is concerned about the princess, I can swear that I will never step foot into Lu City again in this lifetime. But as for staying in Su Sha, I cannot agree."

Feng Qishan seemed to have expected her refusal, his expression unchanged. "You can manage yourself, but you cannot control others. Xia Jingshi is not a good choice, yet Xiyang insists on choosing him. My lack of objection does not mean I will let things take their course. So—Fu Yixiao, as long as you behave yourself, I will never treat you unfairly."

Fu Yixiao listened silently, then smiled clearly and firmly said one word, "No."

Feng Qishan narrowed his eyes displeased, "Are you not afraid that I will order your execution in a fit of anger?"

Fu Yixiao met his gaze fearlessly, "Your Majesty won't."

"Oh?" Feng Qishan did not hide his admiration in his eyes. "You're quite daring. Tell me, why are you so sure that I won't kill you?"

A glint flashed in Fu Yixiao's eyes. "A virtuous king who demands that the prince shares hardships and leisure with his subjects, who understands that all living things have spirits, and who knows that not everyone is insignificant. Such a king would not sentence someone to death just because they refused his request."

Feng Qishan fell silent for a moment, then suddenly burst into laughter. "Well said, Fu Yixiao. Today, I'll spare your life for now. But next time, you may not be so lucky."

Fu Yixiao said nothing, bowed respectfully, and walked back the way she came. A chilling wind blew, and she realized she was drenched in cold sweat.

Faintly, she heard Feng Qishan call out from behind, "Captain Fu."

Fu Yixiao paused for a moment but did not turn around.

"Do you want to know what my next move will be?" he asked.

Fu Yixiao stood still for a moment, then continued walking forward.

Meanwhile, Feng Suige did not return to the Council of State. Instead, he left the flower garden, avoiding the palace attendants. Quietly, he slipped into the nearest palace chamber from the flower garden. Although he couldn't hear anything, seeing the commotion in the flower garden reassured him.

Suddenly, he heard laughter. His heart tightened, but then he saw Fu Yixiao bow and turn to leave.

Feng Suige breathed a sigh of relief. In the end, Father had spared her.

Just as he was about to leave the window, he heard his father call out, "Fu Yixiao."

He turned back in confusion. "Do you want to know what my next move will be?"

Feng Suige's heart started beating violently as he strained to catch any faint sound.

But his father stopped abruptly without saying more, smiling as he watched Fu Yixiao's back recede.