Chapter 90

"What are they targeting me for?" Fu Yixiao still didn't understand. "And what does this have to do with Ning Fei?"

Feng Suige shrugged. "It's just a guess. If it's not targeting you, then it's targeting Ning Fei."

"He might have a quick temper and offended someone, but why would anyone want to kill him?" Xueying said, both shocked and anxious. "Considering the schedule, he should be nearing Jinxiu by now. This is so worrisome."

"Actually, the most likely target is Xia Jingshi," Feng Suige glanced at Yixiao.

She raised her eyebrows. "How is that possible? His Highness has never interacted with outsiders. How could he have made enemies?"

Feng Suige propped his fist against his mouth and said slowly, "It's just a guess for now. Maybe someone is jealous of your being granted the title of princess and decided to drag Xia Jingshi into it as well. Worrying won't help. We'll know soon enough."

Seeing Yixiao glaring at him, he raised an eyebrow. "When have you ever seen me need four guards to scout ahead? The most important thing now is to find out who is orchestrating all of this."

That night, Xueying and Yixiao were chatting idly in their comfortable guest room. Feng Suige smiled as he listened and occasionally chimed in.

Suddenly, a low voice was heard outside the door. "Your Highness, we have it."

"Come in and speak," Feng Suige said, sitting up straight, suddenly energized. Yixiao and Xueying stopped talking and looked toward the black-clad guard who entered.

The guard bowed, then approached and whispered a few words in Feng Suige's ear before presenting a bamboo tube.

Feng Suige nodded. "Keep a close watch. Report any unusual activity immediately."

The guard nodded and left. Once the door was closed, Feng Suige removed the wax seal from the tube, shook out a small piece of paper, and unfolded it under the lamp. He then handed it to Yixiao with a serious expression. "Look at this!"

Written on the slip of paper in tiny characters was a single line: "Fu and Feng are coming together. Request immediate action."

Xueying immediately jumped up in shock, covering her mouth and whispering, "Heavens, what on earth is going on?"

Yixiao was stunned for a moment before asking with difficulty, "Where did this come from?" 

Feng Suige pointed to the bamboo tube on the table. "It was sent by carrier pigeon, but it was intercepted. We still don't know who the other party is."

"What should we do now?" Fu Yixiao clenched her fists instinctively. "There's no news from Ning Fei, and the fate of His Highness and Weiran is unknown—our enemies are hidden while we are exposed. What kind of trap are we walking into..."

Feng Suige thought for a moment, then said sternly, "Don't panic—let me ask you, what is the military structure of the Yulin Battalion in Jinxiu?"

Before he finished speaking, Yixiao and Xueying's faces changed simultaneously, and they exclaimed in unison, "It's the Holy Emperor!"

***

After the meal, Feng Xiyang leaned against the bed for a short nap. Upon waking, she still felt extremely fatigued.

Before meeting Xia Jingshi, she never imagined that a man known for his military prowess could give off an aura as light as mist. He was gentle yet distant, inclusive yet remote. Such feelings were too complex and unique. If she treated him as an ordinary person, he seemed too pure and aloof. But if she were to revere him, he would scoff at her. This combination of purity and aloofness made it hard not to be moved.

Before marrying Xia Jingshi, she had too many dreams. She had imagined that on her wedding day, she would wear a phoenix crown and a robe of cloud-like colors, slowly walking towards him amid the praises of the crowd. He would stand on a high platform, looking down at her with a proud and imperious smile.

When she handed her hand over to him, he would surely hold it tightly and then laugh loudly, announcing to everyone, "Look, this is my bride, my beautiful bride!"

Who knew that her love would be so intense and so lonely. She lost her heart but did not gain a single smile. It has been over half a year since she left Su Sha, and everything she experienced feels like a dream of spring and autumn. When she woke from the dream, they were still as different as night and day, with no intersection between their lives.

A light knocking came from the outer door. Judging by the time, it must be the carriage sent by the Empress Dowager to bring her to the palace. Feng Xiyang sighed softly and turned over to sit up from the soft couch.

The Empress Dowager had sent people several times to persuade Xia Jingshi to move back to Mingde Palace, but they always returned empty-handed. The Empress Dowager, fearing Xiyang would be saddened, invited her to the palace daily to chat, play chess, enjoy flowers, and taste tea. After a while, it became inevitable that she would encounter the Holy Emperor in the Ciyang Hall when he came to pay his respects.

Perhaps it was because the Holy Emperor resembled him so much, making her unable to resist wanting to get close. But sometimes, the cold aura he emitted made her instinctively want to escape, fearing that one careless step would lead to an inescapable disaster. Whenever she thought of this, an indescribable emotion would arise in her heart, turning her daily diversions into burdens—neither going nor not going seemed right.

Opening the door, Feng Xiyang's heart skipped a beat. She instinctively clutched her still-loose collar. "Your Majesty... I didn't know you were coming. I didn't greet you properly, my apologies," she said.

The Holy Emperor responded softly, "The Empress Dowager is slightly unwell today and cannot receive you. I was just leaving the palace to inspect the city defenses, so she asked me to come and check on you."

Xiyang glanced nervously at the maid, who stood with a solemn expression, eyes downcast, and felt slightly calmer. She replied gently, "You and the Empress Dowager are too kind. Since the Empress Dowager is unwell, it is I who should visit her in the palace. How could I trouble Your Majesty to come personally..."

"I have always admired your courage and decisiveness. Why are you now acting so timidly? Is it because of someone else's presence?" The Holy Emperor said, casting a cold glance at the maid.

Although the maid kept her head bowed, she could sense the piercing look and hurriedly bowed and left in a fluster.

Feng Xiyang was about to call her back, but the Holy Emperor chuckled lightly. "Didn't you ask the Empress Dowager what I intended to do? Do you want her to listen in as well?"