Chapter 11: Echoes Beneath The Surface

Echoes Of The Wixx

Chapter 11: Echoes Beneath The Surface

With the sun in front of them, emerging from the horizon protruding an orange glow, Alister and Zephyr had made it to the city of Jewels. Zephyr slept in the wagon with the goods as Alister drove the wagon into the town. As the wagon entered, friendly people would wave and nod as they continued down the bumpy path waking Zephyr from her rest.

"Where are we? Is this Jewels? She had said while rubbing her eyes and coming out of the wagon to sit with Alister.

"Yeah we made it to the town and it seems that so far, everyone has been kind to us. Unlike other towns where they look at us like criminals and as if we'd stir trouble."

They continued to chat until the wagon had stopped in front of the guild hall. Alister jumped down and tied the horses to the post before offering a hand to Zephyr to get down without having to jump down. As the door creaked open all heads turned and looked at the pair as they walked in closing the door from behind. Alister then took the lead going to the help wanted posters and searching for the quest. Unfortunately, there were no quests for slimes. After a while of searching Alister would approach the guy behind the counter.

"Good morning, you don't happen to have any quests that are not up yet do you?"

Alister looked into the eyes of the guy and could read him like a book. As the guy was about to speak Alister pulled a gold coin creating a chime that perked the attention of the others sitting around.

A smile came to the guy's face as his hand reached for the coin.

"Information now, then the cash"! Alister said, blocking the gold coin with one hand and leaning onto the counter.

"Okay fine."

The man pulled out a stack of papers and handed them to Alister. Alister then moved his hand from the coin and began to look at the stack of documents as the guy grabbed the coin. Alister located the right page. As he began looking at the paper, the guy behind the counter began to talk while wiping the counter.

"You might as well have a target on your back. Everyone here can tell you're looking for the code to get to the black market. "The guy said while continuing to wipe the counter.

Alister looked up at the guy with a flustered look. The guy leaned in and waved his hand toward himself. The guy put his hand palm up before beginning to speak.

"Hey look, you hand me some more of that gold and I'll help you get what you need. What do you say?"

Alister grabbed two more gold coins and handed them to the guy behind the counter.

"Good, good, now follow my lead." The guy then got ready for his plan after writing something down on a piece of paper.

The guy's face lit up and he walked around the counter and swung his hand over Alister's shoulder.

"Friend, you need something that will pay more, way more. Like, look at this stone golem quest. It's for C-tier adventures so you can take this and it will pay at least ten times as much."

The guy finished yelling and began to push Alister out the door and Zephyr noticed following behind.

"Have a great day and good luck on that quest!"

The door behind them slammed shut and the pair were puzzled. Alister then looked at the quest for the golem and turned it over to reveal the password. Alister looked over at Zephyr and smiled as he got onto the wagon and was ready to head to the tavern.

After selling the goods that they had seized from the people who tried to kidnap them, they finally made it to the tavern.

Alister and Zephyr entered the tavern unsure what to expect. They swung the door open to see an empty tavern and a bartender wiping a wooden mug with an old rag. As the pair looked around, holes in the wall would catch their attention. Pieces of wood sticking out and broken chairs and tables in the corner of the room gave them the feeling of worry and dread.