Chapter 6: Echoes Within Words

Echoes Of The Wixx

Chapter 6: Echoes Within Words

After the Keep fell, Alister and Zephyr made camp under a large tree about half a mile away from where the keep once stood. It has been about two nights since the fight with Vahntas. They spent most of that time healing up until one night Alister decided to discuss with Zephyr what her plan was after this.

" This food is mouthwatering Zephyr, you did and excellent job." Alister said while smiling and shoveling in another bite of the stew she had made. Zephyr said nothing in response and this worried Alister. He was unsure whether he had done something wrong or maybe made her uncomfortable somehow. Alister does wonder though if maybe she is mad about bandaging him up and cleaning his wounds after the fight however, she didn't seem upset earlier today. As Zephyr began to eat, Alister put his empty bowl down and was ready to approach the situation.

"Are you mad at me?" As Alister said while looking at Zephyr. Zephyr put her spoon back in the bowl and put the bowl down before speaking to Alister. "I'm not mad but I am not happy either. That was very reckless of you to do, you know." Zephyr said while tears began to fall down her face. "You could have been hurt worse or even more, you could have died. Did that ever cross your mind?" Alister smiled at Zephyr, he then got up holding the tree and hobbling over to Zephyr to sit next to her.

"You're right, however the fun of this world is to explore and enjoy life with those you care for. Sure, the fight with Vahntas wasn't fun but think of the meadows we passed by or the gorgeous sunrises we've seen. Unfortunately in this world comes at a cost from the food we eat to the shelter and weapons we wield to the peace a country may have. This is a great example,  look at the sky. The beautiful black and purple night sky with shining stars as far as the eye could see and the light that radiates from the full moon. Sure this could be seen from anywhere in the world however it wouldn't be as special if you weren't here with me. Now think of everything we had to go through just to see this view, was it worth it? I sure think it was."

Alister then realized that he said could be misunderstood, then he began to blush and changed the subject right after. Zephyr has watched him and realizes that he's right, who knows what would have happened to her if their paths didn't reconnect again or let alone cross in the first place.

The two of them stayed sitting under the tree gazing into the night sky where Zephyr would fall asleep onto Alister's shoulder where he wishes they could stay like this forever however, things will be changing very soon.

That morning Alister woke up due to the light of the sun in his eyes and saw that Zephyr had gotten up and left. He searched franticly around the camp however, he couldn't find her and his mind began to race leading to bad thoughts. "Did she leave again without telling me or leaving a note or worse". However, In the distance Zephyr was carrying a bucket with water and a fish that they could eat for breakfast. Alister's mind was put to ease and a weight was lifted from his shoulders knowing she was okay.

After breakfast was done, Alister had something that he needed to tell Zephyr. "So I'm going to be going back to town today and after I will be headed to my family's estate which is about a seven day walk. The dulhan's words about my family being killed has been resonating in my head. If he did kill my family I need to see first hand if that is true or not. It has been on my mind ever since we left the keep. So with that said, do you have any plans?"

Zephyr gazed out into the open fields and pondered to herself about what she could do if she was to leave. Nothing could come to mind especially with no family left in this world. "Well, you did tell me you would teach me magic right?" Zephyr said while making an excuse to join Alister so she wouldn't be alone.