Chapter 8: Echoes Of The Past

Echoes Of The Wixx

Chapter 8 - Echoes Of The Past

When Alister was about fifteen or so, he had gone out with his father into the nearby town. This town wasn't anything special however, it was known for the underground market that Alister was unaware of at that time. The underground market sold stuff like limbs, creatures like goblins and wolves, and worst of all, other human beings.

Alister had begun to head into the direction of the town to sell "Cargo" that his father had. As Alister walked alongside the forest at night with about two others including his father.

"What are in these boxes?"Alister asked with curiosity. After he had asked, one of the boxes began to shake violently. Before Alister got his answer, the wagon had been ambushed by a group of presumed bandits.

Alister, recalling his training, stood as like a boulder allowing nothing to get past him. This would be his first encounter with humans that came at him with the intent to kill.

Alister mustered his strength and held his sword with a firm grasp and began to charge into battle. Blades would clash with sparks shooting across the area. The forest road that they were on had now been flooded with about a dozen bandits.

Alister could hardly see in the dead of night. He swung his blade well considering he's still a novice. Alister blade would come in contact with something soft almost as if he had pierced something or rather, someone.

His father slowly approached Alister with a torch in his hand illuminating the surrounding area. The closer his father got to him the more Alister was able to see.

Eventually, before his father got to him, a liquid feeling could be felt down his blade, onto the hilt, and then onto his hands. His father then stood next to him and Alister was in utter fear, shaking and trembling with widened eyes.

"You bastards. You guys took my wife and child from me. Why, why would you guys do that. Even worse..." Alister's father then plunged his blade into the bandit's heart, ending his life.

Alister would then witness the color in his eyes extinguish. The bandit's body would then go limp and would be too much for Alister to handle before dropping his sword with the guy still impaled. A lifeless body lay on the ground and moments later a pool of blood began to form around the guy.

Alister would then look at his hands, stained in the color of crimson red. He would break down then and there from the emotional stress.

Alister snapped back into reality with the movement of Zephyr getting up in the morning. He recalled to himself that they were on the peak of the mountain that could see his family's estate.

"Good morning Zephyr, how did you sleep?" Alister said while packing the supplies up so they could continue their descent down the mountain.

"I slept great thanks for asking. Say let me help you pack up" Zephyr said while beginning to help out.

"No need, however, if you'd like there is a stream somewhere nearby if you'd like to freshen up" Alister suggested with a smile.

"If you're sure then ok I'll go and freshen up." Zephyr then headed in the direction of the stream while Alister pointed in.

Once she had arrived she didn't freshen up but began to work on her magic abilities. She recalled the incantation for that lightening that Alister had said and had an idea.

"Grant me the power of lightning, the light that shall illuminate the sky, and the sound of thunder that may roar throughout the land".

Black clouds began to swirl in the sky above Zephyr however, after the clouds formed nothing happened. She wasn't too sure what she did wrong but now she'll need to continue her magic so she can help those who couldn't help her in her time of need.