Chapter 24: Lovesick

Song of chapter: Once Again - Mad Clown ft Kim Na Young

Sahl's POV

"I hope dai bawani damuwa koh(is there any complain)?" I asked, dividing my gaze at each of them. We're having an important staff meeting where I announce to them that I'll be going to Kano and I'll be there for a while. I wonder if my leaving is what's making them look morose or the thought of adjusting to the new boss who'll begin work tomorrow.

I usually have a good relationship with my workers. Lately I noticed that they all seem drawn back, they're all awkward and they behave uncomfortably around me. I can tell that they have something that's bugging them, something they want to confront me about but somehow, none of them has the guts to. I wonder I've always seemed scary for them to be so wary of confronting me for whatever is going through their mind.

"I'll try my best to be communicating while I'm away. Wanda xaizo gobe(the person coming in tomorrow) might seem too young, but please ayi biyayya(be nice to him) and put him through the processes as kindly as possible okay? Laura?" I especially called at Lauratu, who's our main cashier. She's the smartest of all of them. I needed her assurance.

"Yes, sir" she sighed. She's usually very outspoken and loud, I wonder why she's also looking morose this evening. I really think it might be because I'm leaving.

"Don't worry guys, I'm not going to Kano to live forever. This is where everything started. I can never ever forget this store in my life, physically or mentally. So we'd see each other often."

"Maybe some of y'all might even come with me to Kano when the redevelopment is finally over" I announced joyously, efforting to make at least a few of them smile. I noticed their facial features soften when I said that. I nodded contentedly. It's my departure that's bothering them after all.

I said my goodbyes and walked out of the store. My flight is quite early tomorrow and I haven't even packed. I need to get back home as early as possible. I have to have a chat with Shamsu and Mama's doctor, all before I retire into my chamber. But before then...

"Sir!" I heard Laura call at me. I halted and turned to face her.

"What's the matter?" I inquired with a curt smile.

"Sir I... Is something bothering you?" She asked, cracking her knuckles nervously as if she's speaking to her father in-law?

"Nothing is bothering me, why do you ask?" I asked, feigning ignorance. I mean, it's only a fool that can't tell something is wrong with me. Any person who has lived long with me would understand that I've definitely been disturbed this past few days.

"Kawai kacanza(you've, you've changed)...you don't come to the store as frequently as before and ko kazo baka jimawa(and you leave as soon as you come). And all of a sudden you're going to Kano now..." She listed.

"The Kano project has always been there. I'm sure I've told you about it." I brought up an excuse.

"Yes but...it's just seems too sudden...."

I released a sigh. Please she should just get straight to the point. I need to get going. Noticing my impatience, she quickly said "erm, what about that girl who always came here in the evening? Anyi sati dayawa banga wulgawatta ba(it's been weeks since I last saw her show up here)...why did she stop coming?" Aha, finally she has emitted what's going on in her mind, what has been bugging her. I wonder if the rest were also wondering about this because basically all of the workers were aware of my relationship with her- how close we were, laughing, talking excitedly, endlessly....