Chapter 8

Chen Tingjian and his son was like fire and water when they met, but Chen Tingshi, who was waiting outside with his shoulders hunched, the one that suffered.

Chen Tingshi had lived in the shadow of his brother since he was a child.

His elder brother was a genius. He passed the children examination at the age of nine, passed the county imperial exam at the age of twelve, passed the provincial imperial examination at the age of sixteen, and became a Zhuangyuan at the age of nineteen!

Chen Tingshi had no talent for reading, and was not very smart to begin with. The more people around him compared him with his brother, the less he could study. In the end, he just broke the pot, stopped striving to get scholarly honor, and ran to his family’s fields to farm! Facing the loess and turning back to the sky, although it was physically hard, no one expected him to study anymore. Chen Tingshi felt particularly relaxed, as if a big stone had finally been lifted off!

Chen Tingshi, who farmed the land honestly, did not resent his elder brother because of the comparison. On the contrary, he admired and was very grateful to his elder brother!

If his brother had not become an official, he and his mother would not have live better and better in their hometown. If his brother had not become an official, he would not have married the most beautiful girl in town!

“Brother, I was the one who stood up first just now, don’t blame Jingzong.”

When he came back in, Chen Tingshi persuaded him with a shameful look, blaming himself for getting up to greet his nephew which confuse the social rule, and causing his nephew to be scolded.

Chen Tingjian waved his hands, not wanting to talk more about his family’s Jianzhong.

Chen Tingshi looked at the letter on the desk again and asked nervously: “The princess’s letter is for the emperor? Do she dislike the simplicity of our home?”

Chen Tingshi, who had been farming for most of his life, never thought that a princess would live in his home one day!

The princess didn’t appear much after coming here, and she wore a veil every time. But just by looking at her figure and the blurry eyebrows under the veil, one could tell that she must be a fairy-like beauty.

Thinking that the princess would complain about their family to the emperor, Chen Tingshi began to sweat on his forehead, looking at the two letters like looking at death sign.

Chen Tingjian looked at the words on the envelope for a while, then touched the beard that had reached his chest and said, “You are worrying too much. The princess is reasonable and will never waste brush and ink on such trivial things.”

Looking at the princess’ writing, which was brisk and gentle, and then thinking about what his wife said yesterday that the princess actually called her mom, he knew that the princess was not dissatisfied with the arrangements at their home, except for the Old Four.

Chen Tingshi believed in him. His brother had been like this since he was a child, always had a well thought out plan in mind.

He stole a few more glances at his brother’s beard.

His brother was not only ten million times more talented than him, but also very handsome. Not to mention when he was young, even now at fifty, he was still elegant and graceful. His long beard was smoother than a woman’s hair and the roots were distinct, it wouldn’t make people think it’s unkempt or excessive.

Do all the officials in the capital have beards like this?

Chen Tingjian suddenly said: “I also want to write a memorial to the emperor. Second Brother, please go back first.”