Chapter 32

The old lady of the Chen family died due to illness in the late First Month, which means that not long after the Lantern Festival after the New Year, the three brothers of the Chen family would finish their mourning period.

Today, Chen Tingjian called his three sons to the study.

A six-foot-square map hangs on the west wall of the study, which detailed the locations of the thirteen provinces of the dynasty and the counties under its jurisdiction. It also listed the neighboring countries on the south, west, and north sides.

Under the map, there was also a sand table with some small flags placed on it.

Even though the dignified Cabinet Elder was mourning at home, he didn't neglect any of the responsibilities and concerns that he should have taken care of.

Chen Bozong and Chen Xiaozong stood in front of the desk with respectful faces. Chen Jingzong glanced at the sand table a few times, looking here and there, but not at the old man.

Chen Tingjian looked at his three sons and said, "You will be discharged from mourning in three months. According to the old practice, you should write a letter to the Ministry of Personnel, so that the Ministry of Personnel can arrange official positions for you in advance."

However, for all officials who were in mourning, the official positions they held would be fill by new officials, as they could not remain vacant. When the officials finished their mourning period, the Ministry of Personnel would arrange new positions based on the situation.

Of course, different officials would receive different treatment. For example, Chen Tingjian, who was highly regarded by Emperor Jingshun, would definitely be reinstated when he was out of mourning. However, middle- and lower-level officials who have not made outstanding achievements might have long been forgotten by Ministry of Personnel and have to queue up for several months to wait for new vacancies.

Chen Bozong said: "Father, when you were young, you served as an official alone, and it was grandmother and mother who raised us. When grandmother was ill, us brothers were unable to fulfill our filial piety by her side. Now that we have returned to our ancestral home, we want to mourn for our grandmother for a while longer. Father, please grant us this request."

Chen Tingjian: "I understand your filial piety, but it's a rule for grandchildren to mourn for one year. If you are fulfilling your filial piety by extending the mourning period, what should other literati do? If they don't learn from you, they seem to have lost in filial piety. If they learn from you, wouldn't it be disturbed the rules?"

He knew that his sons didn't want to leave their parents alone in the ancestral home, but he didn't need them to. He and his wife were not old enough to have their sons and daughter-in-law waiting in front of them every day.

Chen Xiaozong smiled and said: "Father, Son is not in a hurry to leave. In addition to being reluctant to part with grandmother, you and mother, it's also because Wan Qing is still too young to travel long distances."

Chen Tingjian: "Then let your wife and children stay and wait to return to the capital with us."

Chen Xiaozong: "Yuyan is clumsy, and the three children will have to be taken care of by Mother. Son will be even more worried after returning to the capital. It's better to stay together."

Three literati got together and pushed back and forth to come up with an article on "filial piety".

Chen Jingzong said impatiently: "Whether you want to leave or not, the Princess and I will definitely return to the capital after the New Year."

After saying that, the person went out.

Chen Xiaozong peeked at his father.

Chen Tingjian snorted heavily. Fortunately, he also wanted his sons to go back, especially since he couldn't let the princess continue to live here and suffer injustice, so he didn't take the Old Four's unfilial piety to heart.