Chapter 9

At dusk, seeing the last ray of sunset in the yard disappearing, Chao Yun finally heard a short whistle from the other side of the west wing.

She patted her chest and happily said to the princess who was sitting in the main room reading a book: “He’s back, prince consort is finally back!”

Hua Yang was slightly relieved. It was so late, and she was a little worried that Chen Jingzong had some accident in the mountains, like being bitten by a poisonous snake, or accidentally falling off a cliff or something.

She only had this one prince consort. Although he had a lot of problems, it was better than nothing.

Hua Yang liked to be the most noble princess in the capital, not the most noble “widow”.

Following a burst of steady and powerful footsteps, a tall and majestic figure appeared at the door, making the whole room a little dark.

Hua Yang raised her head, glanced at Chen Jingzong’s seemingly handsome and serious face, and quickly fell into his hands.

This time he came back without any game. His left hand carried three oil-paper bags and his right hand carried… a jar of wine!

Hua Yang frowned. She almost forgot that in her previous life, Chen Jingzong had to take two mouthful of wine almost every time!

“Where did you get the wine?” she asked in a low voice.

Seeing that her master was getting angry, Chao Yun hurriedly lowered her head and retreated.

Chen Jingzong didn’t take it seriously, stepped in, and put the wine jar on the table. He sat down again, and explained while picking up the teapot and poured the tea: “I shot two rabbits this morning, and deliberately crossed the mountain to another town more than ten miles away to exchange it with the wine.”

He said it so easily, but he had to climb the mountain and hike more than 20 miles back and forth, just for a jar of wine!

Hua Yang hated the smell of alcohol, and even more disliked that Chen Jingzong put so much effort into buying the wine.

“The meat had been eaten, so what if we’re drinking some wine?”

Chen Jingzong looked at her face and couldn’t understand her temper.

“I don’t like you drinking,” she said bluntly.

Chen Jingzong’s expression became serious, recalled for a moment, and said, “Your condition for letting me sleep on the bed didn’t include abstaining from alcohol. If you find the smell unpleasant, I promise to brush my teeth thoroughly.”

Hua Yang was silent.

Another reason why she hated alcohol was her father in the palace.

When her father emperor summoned the ministers, he looked like a wise monarch, but in private he liked to drink and indulge. When she was nine years old, Hua Yang accidentally encountered her father forcing a palace maid when he was drunk. Her father’s red face, vulgar language, and obscene behavior were all Hua Yang’s nightmares, causing her to resist seeing him from that year on. When she saw him, she couldn’t suppress the disgust in her heart.

Chen Jingzong was just drinking a little, but Hua Yang was very worried that one day he would drink too much and force himself on her like his father did on that palace maid.

In her memory, she and Chen Jingzong once went to her uncle’s house for a banquet. Chen Jingzong drank too much that day. When Hua Yang came out of the shower, she found him sitting by the bed, smelt full of alcohol, and stared at her with dark eyes.