Chapter 17

Aquarius

  Wake up!

  Wake up!

  That exact sentence kept on echoing in her head. What happened? She didn't understand. She could hear voices and constant beeping which she dread awfully.

  How long has she been here? Days? Weeks? More importantly, where was she?

  She kept hearing chatters from around her, voices she didn't recognize.

  She could feel them touching her, changing her sheets, but it felt as if she wasn't exactly there in the room.

  Her eyes were half opened, enough to distinct only the ceiling.

  She had been staring at that exact spot this entire time, except when she was hallucinating. Then, her vision would be completely different. Most were unbelievably unrealistic, but she couldn't tell the difference since she was in a state of panic.

  She could hear the nurse walking in, walking out. The doctors talking between themselves.

  And Gemini...

  Everyday, every night, every hours, he would speak to her. Of his day, of the others. She couldn't understand what he was saying, but the mere sound of his voice was enough.

"Gemini." She tried calling his name. A mere whisper got out as her throat was dry from the oxygen mask and the dehydration.

  Hearing her voice, Gemini was ecstatic. He shouted as loud as he could. "She's awake! She's awake!"
Nurses rushed in a cried of joy before leaving to find a doctor.

Aquarius reached for his hand. Well, tried.

  She couldn't move it. She tried again and much like the first time, it didn't work.

  She tried moving her legs, her fingers anything for that matter. But all, much like her previous attempt, were a failure.

  Her eyes started tearing up as she looked at Gemini. "I can't move." She whispered, her throat still sore. "Help. I can't move."

  She wasn't asking, but pleading. Gemini realized that.

"What'd you wanna do?" He asked her softly. "Hold my hand?"

  She nodded slowly.

  He grabbed her fingers and kissed them. "It'll be alright. The doctor did say you'll have to go through intensive readaptation when you'd wake up."

  She opened her mouth trying to speak again, but was interrupted.

"Don't talk." He ordered her. "You'll irritate you vocal cords even further."

  Since he told her to be quiet, Gemini took the time to explain the situation.
He told her she had a type of leukemia called polycythemia vera. It wasn't curable, but she could learn to live with it with the proper treatments and constant check up.
Due to her condition, she had gotten a stroke. Unfortunately, it had been discovered much too late and they had to comatose her.

  Gemini hated himself. If only he had paid attention more carefully, she could've avoided all this.

  She had spent an entire week unconscious, all because of his negligence.