Chapter 11

"Smells damp" Sarah murmured to no one in particular

"Yeah, it does, maybe we are near a spring or something." Julian replied

"Quite possible" Geoffrey said "Lake Centura isn't far from Peak Ridge, perhaps this tunnel is somewhere near there. Then again, maybe it's just because this part was sealed up and the tunnel hasn't had time to dry out."

Makes sense, Sarah thought and continued on her way. It wasn't easy, the tunnel was slow going, quite a number of rocks littered the floor and it would have been too easy to slip and fall.

I hope we come out of this soon, Ems voice was in Sarahs head, I'm not used to all this exercise after sitting on your shelf for so long.

Sarah giggled and then realized that Julian was looking at her strangely. "I just thought of something funny."

"Oh really"

"Yeah, but you wouldn't understand."

Sarah heard Em muffle a laugh and Julian looked at the two girls rather mystified. He shrugged his shoulders before continuing down the tunnel.

"Do you think we could stop soon?" Em called after him. "I think I'm getting blisters."

"Hopefully it won't be too much further." 

Geoffrey came up beside them "I think the air is starting to smell a bit sweeter."

Sarah realized that he was right – the air definitely didn't smell as damp and she thought she could feel a slight breeze on her face.

"I hope you're right." Em groaned as she trudged on.

As Emerald and Sarah turned a corner of the tunnel, Sarah's eyes fell upon what appeared to be an engraving in the wall. Moving closer so that her light lit up the wall, the following words were revealed:

Hope

Peace

No More War

No More Bloodshed

Sarah read the words carved into the rock face, a feeling of trepidation engulfing her.

"Who wrote these?" She looked at Emerald.

Em shrugged her shoulders "I don't know; I wonder when they were carved?"

"Is there a war going on?"

"Perhaps, perhaps not." The girls glanced at the men, they hadn't noticed the words on the wall. She whispered to Sarah "I'll be interested to see their reaction."

She didn't have long to wait.

"Are you guys just going to stand in one place all day?" Julian joined them, "We'll never..." he stopped, noticing the words for the first time, "How peculiar, I've never seen these before."

Geoffrey peered over his shoulder – "Oh those".  All three turned to look at him.

"They were carved by the Elfin, many years ago."

"The Elfin?"

Geoffrey looked at Sarah "You've not heard of them? No, no I suppose you wouldn't have, not many people do these days. They are a dying race and tend to keep to themselves. But" he turned to Emerald "they will speak out and take action if they feel it is of great necessity."

Keep silent Sarah heard in her head – she bit her tongue

"I've heard of the Elfin" Julian murmured, "but I thought them a legend."