Chapter 33

Apologies for taking so long to update; but I am determined to finish this story, so expect more updates soon.  Anyway, enjoy the next chapter.

-------------------------------------------

The next day, Sarah joined Geoffrey and Emerald in the garden to continue with her training. Geoffrey walked over to Sarah and handed her a red crystal. Confused Sarah looked at it and raised a questioning brow at Geoffrey. He nodded at her sword "I think you will find there is space for another crystal in the hilt of your sword."

"Oh, really" Sarah turned the sword so that she could see the slot where she had placed the blue crystal. Sure enough, another slot had appeared and she placed the red crystal inside.

"Will she be able to store a few crystals in there?" Emerald asked.

Geoffrey nodded "Yes, but only the ones that she can work with. Today we will see if the red crystal responds."

As Sarah gripped the hilt of her sword, she knew immediately that the red crystal was going to work. She could feel a gentle heat pulsate against her fingers. As she swung the sword in an arc, she watched, fascinated, as the silver of the sword became sheathed in a red flame and almost dropped the sword in panic.

Geoffrey laughed "Don't worry Sarah, it won't hurt you."

"What about me?" Emerald asked.

"Ah, yes it might so I suggest you don't get too close."

"Can I have a crystal to put in my sword?"

"Why not.' Geoffrey reached in to his pocket and pulled out a blue crystal and handed it to her "Check to see that there is a space in the hilt."

She did as he asked and, sure enough, there was. "I must remember to thank Ben." she said quietly. "Will it work for me?"

"Only one way to find out. Have at it girls."

Emerald swung her sword around to have it blocked by Sarah. Sparks flew as the blades collided.

Both girls stepped back "Wow" Sarah said "Is that supposed to happen?"

Geoffrey grinned "It would seem so."

He watched fascinated, as the girls began to circle one another. They would take turns lunging at one another, swords clashing, sparks flying. It was a stunning display to see the swords, imbued by the power of the crystals and the girls own magic come alive under their touch. Sarah's confidence in her own ability began to grow as she managed to hold her own against Emerald. Seeing the blade covered in a red flame made her feel powerful and, while it didn't feel as comfortable in her hands as it did when only the blue crystal was in the hilt, the red flames seemed to be urging her on. She began to swing her sword harder, lunging quickly at the other girl. Emerald, being the consummate swordsman she was, managed to avoid being hit, but only just. Breathing heavily she swung her blade around to block Sarah's strikes while trying to disarm her. She looked at the younger girls face; jaw clenched, eyes narrowed focusing on Emeralds sword. Emerald suddenly threw her arm up, ramming Sarahs shoulder, sending her flying. Sarah landed on her side, hands still gripping her sword tightly. Climbing to her feet she ran at Emerald, sword overhead, a look of rage contorting her features. Emerald nimbly stepped back and out of her way.

"Sarah, calm down" she yelled as she watched her friend turn.

"I don't want to" she said in reply as she lunged again.

"Sarah, drop your sword" Geoffrey yelled.

"No" she yelled back as she swung at Emerald again.

Emerald heard Geoffrey curse under his breath "Sarah, you are letting your power take over. Drop the sword."