Chapter 17

"I am never going shopping with you again Emerald." Sarah stretched her back and rolled her shoulders. "I have been prodded and pinned and it felt like hours that I was standing there. I don't know how models do it."

"I know, but it made Mrs Burgess happy so I was glad to do it."

"But seriously Em, when are we going to need them?"

"I don't know Sarah, but it could be as early as this weekend or in a month from now; all I know is we will need them. I should not have thrown away the dress I had originally; though it was completely out of fashion."

"But."

"No Sar, leave it. They have been ordered and that's it."

"Fine, but I still don't think we will need them, besides we haven't got any sh...."

"Of course, thank you Sarah. Come on, down here," and she led the way to the local shoemakers.

This Sarah didn't mind so much. She wasn't really interested in any heels though acknowledged that she needed at least one pair to wear with the dresses. She did manage to purchase a pair of the softest leather boots, so much more comfortable than the ones she had been given by the hut or Jacinta as she realized now. Her blisters were healing, but she still had a little difficulty walking; but her boots felt like they were cushioned with air, so that helped immensely.

"Shall we head back to the Inn?"

"Yes I think so; I don't think we are going to find out anything more today. I might see if Julian wants to go to the blacksmith either later today or tomorrow though."

"Blacksmith, but we don't have a horse."

"I know that, that's not why I'm going."

"Then why?"

"To get a weapon of course."

"Huh?" Sarah stared after her friend, her mouth hanging open in astonishment.  "A weapon, why do you need a weapon?"

"Relax Sarah, it's just precautionary. You never know who we might meet on the road ahead and," she stopped Sarah from interrupting by holding up her hand, "I don't know if either Geoffrey or Julian plan to come with us."

"But a weapon? What sort?"

"Sword, dagger, we'll see what they have."

"You're scaring me Em."

"I'm sorry Sarah" she squeezed her friends arm "it really is just a precaution. I don't know what we are going to face in the days ahead."

"Do you even know how to use a sword or dagger?"

"Yes, I do."

"Oh," Sarah suddenly had a thought, "can you teach me?"

"I don't see why not. I'll see if they have any wooden practice swords."

"Cool."

"But don't tell anyone Sarah, people might think it strange a girl learning how to use a sword."

"Why?"

"Well, I guess it's just not the done thing."

"But you were taught."

"Yes, but I was a special case."

"How so?"

"My father had me learn so I could defend myself if ever we were separated on our travels."

"Oh, I did some self defence training at school, I wonder if that will help?"

"Perhaps you could teach me some of your moves whilst I teach you how to handle a weapon?"