Chapter 21

True to her word Mrs Burgess woke Emerald up a few hours later, just in time for dinner. Martha had been kind enough to send dinner for them all, including her apple pie for dessert, though Emerald knew Sarah would not be partaking. She would just have to save her a piece for when she was feeling better.

"How is she?" she asked Julian as she joined the others in the front room where Sarah was still lying on the couch.

He shook his head "No change, except she is now running a fever."

Emerald paled "That's not good is it?" She looked at Mrs Burgess.

"No it's not, but if she can last the night, there is a good chance she will fully recover. We just need to try and keep the fever down."

Em nodded "What can I do?"

"We've been putting a cold cloth on her head to try and cool her down. I think it's helping but Geoffrey's gone to see the butcher about getting some ice. He thought an ice bath might help."

"Somehow I don't think she will like that very much."

"We might not have a choice Em; we can't let her fever get too high" Mrs Burgess said quietly.

"Julian, why don't you and Jason go and eat, I'll look after Sarah."

"Okay, but I am happy to stay and help."

"I know and thank you." Emerald removed the wet cloth from Sarah's forehead and placed it in the basin of cold water. She wrung it out and placed it back on the younger girls head. Her fingers brushed Sarah's cheek and she couldn't help but notice how warm it was and dry, like it had been totally drained of moisture.

"Mrs Burgess, has she had anything to drink?"

"We've been dribbling some water into her mouth, but I don't know if she has swallowed any. "

"Come on Sarah, fight this. I know you can." She took Sarah's hot hand in hers and squeezed it gently, hoping her friend would know she was there.

Geoffrey returned about an hour or so later, a large bag of ice over his shoulder.

"We should probably put this in the bath and have Sarah lie on top."

Mrs Burgess nodded and showed him where her bathroom was.

Julian picked Sarah up off the couch and carried her in to where the others had arranged the ice. As he gently placed her down on the ice, Sarah began to mutter and moan, her eyelids flickering in response to the coldness.

"It's all right Sarah, this will help you get better." Emerald grabbed the other girls arm which had begun to move of its own accord and they heard Sarah sigh as she slipped back into unconsciousness.

"We can't keep her in there for too long, fifteen to twenty minutes at the most."

Julian nodded "I'll make sure to lift her out then."

"I'm thinking I'd like to change the dressing and poultice on her arm, but I really don't want to disturb her too much," Mrs Burgess looked at Geoffrey.

He nodded "I understand. We will do it when Julian removes her from the bath. The butcher is going to bring me another bag of ice in an hour or so as I don't think this ice will last that long." They looked at the ice surrounding Sarah that was already starting to melt from the heat of her body. "It doesn't look good Julia," he said quietly.

She shook her head and looked over at Emerald "We must pray that she makes it through the night."

Emerald suddenly had a thought "Geoffrey, do you think you could open Sarah's mouth for me."