Chapter 34

Sarah sat on the riverbank, trying to skim some small stones that she had gathered across the water.  It was quite warm this morning, but the water was still too cold to swim, though she had thought about dipping her feet in.  Hearing a noise, she scanned her surroundings, but she appeared to be alone except for a few birds or insects.  She sighed as she leaned back on her elbows, feeling the warmth of the sun on her face; it really was a beautiful morning.  Geoffrey had woken them early and she and Emerald had spent the best part of two hours trying to practice magic with the crystals.  Sarah had been amazed at what Emerald could do.  For someone who, only a few days earlier, didn't think she had any magic, it was like a dam had burst.  It was like some blockage had been removed and suddenly she could do things with the crystals that Sarah was struggling to do.  She sighed again, frustrated that she seemed to be going backwards and she was tired of feeling so exhausted all the time.  She really must try and contact Jacinda.  She had tried to get through to her last night, but it hadn't worked.

"I'll try again tonight" she said softly to herself.

"What will you try?" a voice startled her and she leapt to her feet.

"Julian" she gasped as she held her hand over her rapidly beating heart.

"Sorry" he smiled sheepishly "Didn't mean to startle you."

Sarah waved her hand at him "That's fine, I just didn't hear you."

Julian picked up a stone and skimmed it across the water.  "You looked like you were deep in thought."

"I was."

"Want to talk about it?"

Sarah looked at him in surprise.  She shrugged her shoulders as she settled back down on the river bank "Not really".

"I'm a good listener."

Sarah smiled "I'm sure you are, but I think I'll take a rain check."

"Fair enough, but I'm here if you ever want to talk."

"Thanks.  What are you doing here anyway?"

Julian sat down beside her "I bumped in to Geoffrey at the Inn and he told me you were here."

"And?"

"I thought you might like some company."

Sarah gave him a small smile "You mean Geoffrey thought I might like some company."

Julian shrugged his shoulders "Same thing."

"Did he tell you what happened yesterday?"

Julian shook his head "Just said he thought you could use a friend - did something happen?"

Sarah wondered how much she should tell him.  Julian knew she could use magic, just not how much.  "I'm fine really, just missing home." And she was; being away from her parents was taking its toll; the difficulty she was having with her magic was just another thing to stress her out.  She wanted to go home, she wanted to finish whatever it was that she had somehow got caught up in and return to the somewhat peaceful life she had before she knew about Emerald, and the existence of the world she was currently in.

"Me too.  I've been away from home for too long, but something always seems to come up that prevents me from returning."

"I know that feeling" Sarah mumbled.

Sarah stretched before she stood up, brushing the dirt from her pants. "Want to go for a walk?'

"Why not" he grabbed her hand as she helped pull him up "Anywhere in particular?"