Chapter 20

Martha called them into the dining room when they entered the Inn. I've left some sandwiches on the sideboard for you" she said.

"Thanks Martha" Sarah gave her a huge smile "I am soooooo hungry and you are such a good cook."

Martha laughed "Glad to know my food is appreciated."

Sarah sat down with a large plate of sandwiches in front of her.

"What?' She queried as Emerald looked at her with raised eyebrows "I couldn't decide."

Emerald just shrugged and returned to her plate.

"This sandwich is so nice" Sarah commented

"Uh huh."

"It's different from back home."

"Is it?"

"Yeah – it just tastes better."

"I think it's probably because you have worked up an appetite."

Sarah nodded "Maybe. So what are you going to do for the rest of the day."

"Well, I thought I might go and check on how our dresses are."

"And to see if Mrs Burgess has any more questions?"

"That too."

Sarah scowled "Do I have to come?"

"Not if you don't want to."

"Hmmm, well I might still come, as long as I don't have to have any more fittings."

"You shouldn't – you will need to try the dresses on though once they are ready."

"I still don't get why we need them."

"As I said Sarah, we might not need them, but it's better to be prepared just in case."

"Fair enough."

"I can't believe how quickly you have eaten those," Emerald looked at Sarah's empty plate.

The other girl just grinned as she gulped down a glass of water. "I could eat more, but I don't think I should."

"Really" Emerald said dryly as she sat back on her seat and crossed her arms over her chest.

Martha came in then to clear the plates "You were hungry weren't you?" she smiled at them both.

Sarah nodded and Emerald just shook her head at the other girl.

"I'm making an apple pie for dessert tonight, so make sure you leave some room."

"Apple pie – you bet" Sarah smiled her appreciation at the other woman. "Good thing I've got a fast metabolism, otherwise you will make me put on weight with all this good food."

Martha looked confused "Metabolism?"

"Yeah, we learnt about it in science. Something to do with how quickly your body burns up the food you consume."

"Well I never." Martha shook her head "Well, I will see you young ladies later, enjoy your afternoon."

"Thanks Martha, we will."

"She is so nice" Sarah remarked to Emerald who nodded in agreement as they headed upstairs.

"I'm just going to have a really quick bath before we head out," Emerald said quietly.

"Me too; I haven't perspired that much since I did the cross country at school."

"It's a long distance running race" Sarah explained when she saw Emeralds questioning look.