Chapter 28

Author's Note:

My apologies for taking so long to upload another chapter.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

BJM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke with a start. Something was wrong; she could feel the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end.

Emerald can you hear me? She spoke through their mind link.

Sarah? Emeralds voice in her head was soft.

Yes, it's me. Somethings wrong, I can feel it.

What do you mean? Sarah realised Emerald was on high alert now.

I don't know, I just woke up and I've just got a feeling.

You didn't have a bad dream?

No, definitely not. Can you hear anything?

No.

Me neither.

I'm going to check the other rooms.

Do you think that's wise?

Probably not, but it will give me peace of mind when I don't find anything.

I'll come with you, Sarah scrambled out of bed.

She opened her bedroom door quietly and met Emerald just outside.

Don't speak out loud. Emerald said and could feel Sarah's annoyance at stating the obvious.

Emerald checked the other rooms. As they passed a window Sarah looked out and let out a gasp. She grabbed her friends shoulder and pointed.

Emerald cursed under her breath before yelling for Julia.

"Julia, Julia there's a fire in town."

Julia came racing out of her bedroom pulling her robe over her night gown. "Where?"

"I'm not sure; I think it might be near Mr Turner's book shop."

"Oh dear god, we must alert the fire brigade."

"Do you have one of those?' Sarah asked "I haven't seen a fire station."

"That's because it's made up of volunteers. Oh dear, so many have already left."

"Don't worry Julia" Emerald patted her shoulder "We'll think of something."

They hurried downstairs and Sarah wondered whether or not she could mind speak with Geoffrey. Emerald heard her thought - No, he won't be able to hear you.

She turned to Julia "Where is the towns warning system?"

"The bell tower; it's not far from here. We will need to ring the bell and alert everyone."

Emerald nodded and made her way outside. Sarah couldn't help but be impressed by the other girls demeanour; a lot of her friends back home would tell her to let someone else worry about it. Of course in her world they could use a phone, here they didn't appear to exist.

Sarah ran after Emerald and wondered if she could use her magic to pour water on the flames. Stupid idea, there is no way I'm ready to do that she thought annoyed.

The town was quiet, too quiet Sarah thought, but she followed Emerald to the tower and was just in time to see Emerald trying to open the door.

"It's stuck."