Chapter 12: Carnelian Sky

POV CARNELIAN SKY

Carnelian scowled. She had just been told off by a hall monitor, and no one else. The monitor was Clay Cutter, from the sophomore class. What a stupid name. Whoever had named him was clearly dumb. Her opponent had been Pike Seaweed, who stuck around Anemone Pearl like a stalker. It would have been funny if Pike had actually been a stalker, out to kill Anemone. She snarled, thinking of the way that Seaweed Brain had mocked her.

Her roommate, Moon something knocked a book off the shelf. Then the annoying one jumped up to pick the book up, and instead knocked more books down. Some of them landed near Carnelian's desk. She growled. "Watch what you're doing!" she cried, whirling around and grabbing a book and throwing it towards the gigantic rainbow bomb's bed.

One of the teachers, Ms. Indigo popped inside and said, "Are you alright there, girls?" "Yes, I just knocked down a bookshelf, and Moon knocked down a book," said Kinkajou. Ms. Indigo grinned. "Hang in there, girls," she said. "It's not long before winter break. You should strengthen your bond before then." She walked out without another glance.

Carnelian sighed. How did she even get into this school? More like asylum. It would have been a thousand times better without one yammering all night and one chattering all day. She really wanted to get out of this dorm, so she jumped out. She immediately knocked into a boy with ice-white hair. "Watch where you're going!" she snarled. Couldn't the people here see in front of them?

"Let the people here enjoy their time out of the noisy dorm in peace!" barked the boy. Wait. Carnelian opened her mouth to say a retort, then shut it again. "Same as me," she drawled. "Carnelian. You?" "Winter Whitlock," said the boy. "Don't call me Winty."

"Okay, Igloo-Face," said Carnelian, getting a scowl from Winter. Ahh, the relaxation of teasing another person. "Allies in this murderous prison?" suggested Carnelian. "Sure," said Winter, or Igloo-Face.

For the next few days, they enjoyed themselves with their alliance. Secretly, Carnelian was amused by Winter writing in his diary, and teased him about it every time they saw each other, which was almost always. Once, she saw what he was writing over his shoulder, and read quite much before he noticed and snarled at her, saying that she shouldn't invade his 'private space'. This was too funny. The diary read, 'Dear Diary, today I teased Carnelian. Her reaction was too funny, and kind of sad. She should be glad for my company, shouldn't she? Well, I enjoy this alliance. Maybe this semester won't be so bad after all.

They retained their teasing and joking relationship until one day, Carnelian decided to go to history a bit early, and Winter didn't follow because he was miffed at a debate he and Carnelian had earlier, about whether to pour the cereal before the milk(I pour the cereal first, how about you?).

Carnelian entered the history classroom, and immediately smelled something weird. Smoke. She turned to run out of the room, but it was too late. She heard the chandelier crash behind her. Flames licked at her pants and shoes. Not long before they reached her entire body. She turned around in a circle to find a way out, but the flames had her stuck in a circle. She screamed. She couldn't die like this. Not without seeing Igloo-Face's stupid face that she cared about so much.

"Carnelian!" she heard Winter. "Winter!" she screamed. The flames had reached her waist, and it was killing her. "I'm getting a fire extinguisher right now!" yelled Winter. He was gone. "Wait!" said Carnelian, the flames had reached her throat. "Wint...er" she choked out, the smoke filling her lungs. She collapsed onto the floor, letting the flames slowly consume her. Winter was on her mind the entire time.

Sorry about the short chapter, please enjoy!

Cath :)