~#18. Her Emotions~

Ruhana takes a glance at herself in the mirror. In the past eighteen years, she has aged gracefully; she might not have changed physically, but she has changed a lot emotionally. She doesn’t trust anyone easily; Sameer and Maansi are exceptions. Her eyes are teary as well, all due to that bittersweet memory that has come haunting her. She has encountered her ex-husband again. Seeing his face for the second time, all his words are still ringing in her ears. She didn’t want to face him, but now she has to. Her train of thoughts breaks when she sees Sameer’s reflection in the mirror. He’s been waiting for her.

“Tum phir se puraani baatein soch rahi ho?” he asks.

“Main vo baatein bhuli hi nahi hoon, Sameer. Vineet ke wo shabd aaj bhi mujhe chubhte hain. Mujhe toh yakeen nahi aata ki jisne meri pregnancy mein itna dhyan rakha, aur jab main hospital mein thi, vo mere paas hi raha, mera haath pakad ke, uska vishwas tha ki kuch galat nahi hoga. Hua bhi nahi, Sameer, hume Manvi mili, lekin phir ek raat mein jaane kaise vo badal gaya,” she expresses her emotions, her tone filled with feeling.

“Usne bas yeh keh diya ki agar main usey chunti hoon toh mujhe Mannu ko chhodna hoga, aur agar apni beti ko chunti hoon, toh Vineet se door hona padega. Kaise keh diya usne?” she says softly.

“Main jaanta hoon, Ruhana, ateet mein jo hua wo hum badal nahi sakte, lekin main ek baat kahoon?” Sameer says, and Ruhana nods

“Main jaanta hoon, Vineet ne tumhe hurt kiya hai, usne tumhe tab chhoda jab tumhe aur Manvi ko uski zaroorat thi. Ye uski galti hai lekin ab usey is baat ka ehsaas ho chuka hai. Tumhe thukraane ke liye, apni beti ko chhodne ke liye usey bahut saza mil chuki hai. Par ab tumhe usse ek baar baat kar leni chahiye,” Sameer says, his tone soft and to the point.

“Mujhe usse koi baat nahi karni, Sameer. Usne jo kiya hai na uske baad main usse koi baat nahi karna chahti. Main nahi chahti ki wo phir se mujhe aur meri beti ko zaleel kare,” Ruhana says, her tone firm.

“Aur ab toh maine tay kar liya hai ki main usey bataungi ki jis beti ko usne chhoda, wo usse kahin zyada achchi aur responsible hai

“Aur ab toh maine tay kar liya hai ki main usey bataungi ki jis beti ko usne chhoda, wo usse kahin zyada achchi aur responsible hai. Duniya mein logon ko yahi lagta hai ki jo kamzor hai wo kuch nahi kar sakta, kamzor logon pe dhyan dene se unka time waste hota hai, lekin madad koi karna nahi chahta,” she further expresses her point, her tone firm, leaving no room for any argument.

Sameer sighs deeply; he knows that she’s right. No woman would bear the dilemma that Vineet put in front of Ruhana. If it had been someone else, she’d have processed it; she’d have thought it coming due to societal norms. However, it came from her husband and broke her heart. No woman would accept it, nor would they forget it all. Meanwhile, Ruhana’s voice falls on his ears.

 Meanwhile, Ruhana’s voice falls on his ears

“Sameer, don’t be tensed. I will maintain professionalism. I won’t shout at him or insult him; he only deserves my silence. Main jaanti hoon, vo mujhse baat karna chahta hai par main nahi karna chahti. Uski saza toh yahi hai ki usey maafi hi na miley, aur ghut-ta rahe…” she says, her voice laced with anger.

Sameer just nods; he knows that he doesn’t understand the amount of pain she has felt and all the trauma she has gone through. Life has been hard for her, and he doesn’t want to complicate it by suggesting she talk with Vineet. Waving off the tension between them, he tells her that they should get going for the conference. He further tells her that since the conference will be in the same hotel, she can leave Manvi in the room itself and check on her whenever she desires. Ruhana agrees, and after assuring herself that her daughter would be fine, she leaves with Sameer.

*****
They enter the conference hall and begin to meet some fellow associates, and soon, the conference begins. It is all about new technologies and some deals that are yet to be made. Sameer and Ruhana reserve a table and take their seats. Yes, they’re here to make some deals too. As Ruhana looks around, her eyes fall on Vineet, who is entering the hall. This time, she takes a deep glance at him. He looks weak, not his usual self, and the way he glanced at her the other day makes her wonder—is he truly guilty?

Guilty? No, the man who threatened to leave her because of their daughter—why would he be guilty? He can’t be! Also, he won’t change his mind in eighteen years; after all, he’ll still need to look for doctors at this age. And he won’t be able to do that. He can’t and he won’t—it will take a lot of effort, won’t it?

Meanwhile, her trance breaks with a warm touch on her shoulder. She turns to find her friend and fellow client, Barkha Bisht. Barkha is a fashion designer and has collaborated with Ruhana. They get into a casual chat, and soon, Barkha suggests something that makes Ruhana smile. She reaches out to hold Barkha’s hand, trying to reassure herself, and Barkha’s positive nod makes her smile.

Sameer’s words have come true—this conference is beginning to prove beneficial for her.

To Be Continued.