11. SOFIA VOLKOV

"Oh god! Thank you, Sofia." Stacy's eyes brighten, but her response is not like I had expected. She is a fan of art, and yet her smile didn't reach her eyes when I gave her the tickets to the most anticipated art exhibit in town. Perhaps she was just surprised, or maybe there's something else on her mind.

"How are you feeling right now? Is there something on your mind? Don't you want to go?" My smile falters.

I am making more time for Stacy, and our bond is getting better and better. Her health is better too.

"I want to, and I am very happy. I have read a thought by Theodore Roosevelt in the book on philosophy you gave me." Stacy answers, fumbling with the pendant I gifted her. It is always present on her neck, and she never takes it off for once. "It is stuck in my mind."

"May I know what it is?" I ask.

Stacy looks down at the pendant, her eyes distant. "It said, 'Death is always, under all circumstances, a tragedy, for if it is not, then it means that life has become one. "

Stacy's voice trembles as she recites the quote, her eyes welling up with tears. "It really made me think about the value of life," she whispers, clutching the pendant tightly.

"It is a reminder to cherish every moment." I remarked, happy with myself for giving her the book.

"It could be interpreted in a different way too—sometimes death is a better option than to suffer endlessly. At that time, death appears as more of a blessing." Stacy adds, her eyes focused on the pendant, lost in thought.

"There is one more: I fake my smiles because everyone wants me to be as happy as I want it for myself." This quote appears to be more related to Stacy.

"Are you not happy?" I ask, concerned.

"I'm not sure how I feel right now. It's all a bit overwhelming." Stacy replies with a faint smile. "Happiness is fleeting."

I was just about to open my mind to say something else, but Stacy interrupted me, saying, "But now, would you please sing for me?" She handed me the guitar.

This time, she made a rather odd request.

"Play a song from your upcoming album. Could you play all of them?" She sat back against the plush pillows, popping a cookie Emma made into her mouth.

"I could play you one. You will have to wait for the album to release before listening to others." I stated, strumming a few idle chords on the guitar.

"Please, do it." Her green eyes pleaded with my black ones, as if they were in a hurry for something.

"Couldn't you wait, or are you running short on time?" I teased her, watching her twirling her beautiful cinnamon locks between her fingers and pouting at me.

"Time waits for no one; a tragedy happens when you least expect it," she replied with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"When you became such a philosopher, Stacy," I grinned at her, in response to which she gave me a playful shove.

"I guess life has a way of teaching us unexpected lessons," she said with a smile, a rather off one, but her eyes sparkling with wisdom beyond her years.

"I am playing my whole new album at your request. You owe me big time for this," I remarked.

"I guess I'll have to make it up to you somehow," Stacy replied.

Then, I started playing the guitar as she settled back, closing her eyes and letting the music wash over her. The notes filled the room, creating a peaceful atmosphere that seemed to lift the weight off our shoulders.