14. SOFIA VOLKOV

Everyone seems happy today; even dad, who is usually like a block of ice, is smiling at the dumb fight of J and Uncle Christian over him.

"Will you drop that topic, Chen? It has been more than two decades." Uncle Christian asserts, his tone suggesting his frustration.

"Could you drop Stella? It has been more than two decades." Uncle J says, grinning and clearly not scared of the older Harper's murderous tendencies if someone says a word about our charming Aunt Stella.

Uncle Rhys pipes in, "Well done, Chen. Straight at Harper's heart." Uncle Christian shoots Uncle J a warning look, but Uncle Rhys just laughs and claps Uncle J on the back.

"Stella is not a fucking object I could drop when I get bored of it." Uncle Christian looks so tempted to throw his drink in J's face. "She is my lifeline and a goddess. Therefore, do not dare joke about her, or else I will bury you six feet underground. Same goes for you, Larsen."

J just laughed at Uncle Christian, pissing him even more. Dad's smile grows wider and wider at their banter or fight.

A sinister smile takes over Uncle Christian's face, indicating he is up to something that is going to piss J very much.

"You and Alex had plans to go to the NFL last Sunday, didn't you?" He asks, in his fake polite tone that sounds lethal to me.

"Yes, but that bastard's work came in between." J glares at dad, clearly not happy with his cancellations of plan.

"Oh, work was the reason." Uncle Christian turns its attention towards dad. "Was it, Alex?"

Dad's smile immediately falls, and he turns into an ice block once more, his eyes fixated on the other man.

"Don't you say any other word about it, Harper, or else I will shoot you." Dad warns Uncle Christian with a hard look.

"I am curious as fuck." Uncle Rhys provokes. He could not help his tendency to add gasoline to fire, especially between Uncle Christian and J.

"Don't." Dad gives a deadly glare to Lia's dad.

"Oh, I understand." Uncle Rhys interrupts. "I remember Harper telling me that Volkov cancelled his plans with Chen so they could play chess together last Sunday."

"What the fuck!!!!!" J shrieks, aghast and shocked. I realize it must be a total heartbreak for him to know that his best friend for life chose Uncle Christian over him.

The damage was done.

The look Dad gives to Uncle Rhys is of pure wrath, as if he is two seconds away from choking him to death.

"I didn't have to say anything." Uncle Christian whistles casually, as if he has done nothing wrong.

A genuine smile forms on my lips after a week of sadness and hollowness as I watch J rain over my poor dad, who is muttering curses to Uncle Christian and Rhys, and they two are laughing over his situation.

I feel bad for my dad.

On the other end of the terrace, where this cozy get together is held on J and J's anniversary, my mom and aunts are laughing and giggling like college girls. Aunt Jules says something, and all of them burst into laughter.

"Stop sending kisses to your husband, Lia." Camilla takes Lia's phone and types something to Marco hastily and puts her phone back in her purse.

"What did you type to him?" Lia tries to get her phone back from her purse, but Camilla stops her hand.

"I told him we are stealing you for the night, and don't he dare text you again and grab your attention." She says, forcefully handing Lia a drink. "And you, too, is not going to touch your phone again. Kiss your husband in your bedroom."