Chapter 40

Two months later

I was almost done with my paintings. My exhibit is fast approaching and everything seems to fall into place.

Kai and I have been living in our own bubble for the past couple of months, enjoying each other without the watchful eyes of the world. Careful not to be photographed by paparazzi and swarmed by his fans, we opted for secluded places like Amanpulo and a few other private resorts in the country.

Kai wanted to let our parents and our friends know that we were back together but I refused.

Pakiramdam ko kasi ay kapag may magandang balita akong sinasabi sa lahat ay may kapalit na hindi maganda. Kai didn't argue, he didn't even tell me I was being ridiculous. He was just happy that we were finally back together. And I think he was just glad that I'm finally done antagonizing his efforts.

"Kung ako ang masusunod ay pipiliin kong tumira nalang tayo sa isang isla na malayo sa lahat. The world doesn't deserve you anyway so might as well create our own world, don't you think, Calliope?"

Sabi niya sa akin isang beses nang in-express ko sa kanya ang pangangamba ko sa future namin. Hindi ko alam kung bakit. I just have this nagging feeling that shit is about to go down again.

I shouldn't have these negative thoughts when I'm finally happy with my life. My mother has been trying to reach out a lot to me and recently, I find myself wanting to spend time with her and leave everything in the past. I also have been seeing a therapist again to help me with my past trauma, especially with my trust issues. Silver and I flew to Amsterdam to spend the weekend together just last week.

Everything is perfect. I'm finally happy. But why does it feel like there's a laser target on my forehead? Why does it feel like there's an apocalypse waiting to happen?

I breathed out and sighed. Pinalibot ko ang mga mata sa kabuo-an ng gallery ko. I can't afford to have my own gallery for now because it's expensive as hell to have one in the city but I will soon.

My father offered to gift me one but I refused. Hindi pwedeng umasa ako sa kanya habang-buhay. How many times has he saved me? Hindi ko na mabilang.

Dumako ang mga mata ko sa cellphone ko nang nag-ring iyon.

My lips automatically stretched into a wide smile as I answered it.

"Hi, my Calliope," namamaos na bati sa akin ni Kai sa screen.

He looked like he was still in bed and just woke up from a deep slumber. Medyo namamaga pa sa tulog ang singkit niyang mga mata. I can see some of the tattoos on his collarbone and his muscular shoulders.

God, he is so ridiculously hot. No wonder girls go crazy about him. Mas hot pa siyang tingnan lalo kapag nakapang racing gear siya.

Due to my hectic schedule, I haven't been in one of his races and although I know he wants me to watch him, he didn't force me. He respected that I also have a career of my own. Isa pa, this will be my first exhibit in years.

"Hi," I breathed. "Kumusta ang training?"

He gave me a lazy grin, propping an arm behind his head as he stared at me through the screen.

"Same old routine. We have new recruits and one of them is really promising. Maybe we'll see more of him on the podium," pagkwento niya.

He then proceeded to tell me about how his friend, Diego, got someone pregnant but that they are keeping it confidential. And then he told me about his coach, Markovic, who had invited the both of us on his and his wife's wedding anniversary.

"I miss you, Calliope," sabi niya pagkaraan. "Kailan mo'ko papasyalan dito?"

Natawa ako sa nakanguso niyang mukha. "Magkasama lang tayo three days ago."