Chapter 29

Kai, Age Twenty Seven
---
"She has dissociative amnesia."

No words could have shaken me to my core more than what came out of Nate's mouth. Natulos ako sa kinatatayuan ko habang kumakabog ang dibdib na nakatingin sa kanya. Nasa labas kami ngayon ng apartment building niya dahil sinundan ko sila. There was no way I was going to let her out of my sight again.

"She didn't remember who she was. She didn't even remember us," Nate exhaled, exhaution and anger evident in his eyes. "She...we were told it was due to trauma and extreme stress."

I struggled to unglue my tongue from the roof of my mouth. I felt cold. Colder than how I felt the past seven months she was gone.

"Extreme stress?" I croaked.

He exhaled sharply, glancing at the door of his apartment where Calliope disappeared into, basically running away from me. Somehow, she knew to hide from me even when she didn't remember me. Fuck.

"We were..." he paused as if struggling to say the next words, "we were told that she was pregnant."

Napaatras ako ng wala sa loob. The impact of his revelation was so strong I had to steel my spine to keep myself from going down on my knees. My body starts to shake uncontrollably.

"W-What?"

Umiling siya at nagpakawala muli ng buntong-hininga. "She appeared all wet from the rain with no recollection of any of us except that our information was written on her tiny notebook. She couldn't even go home because she didn't know where she was supposed to go. She didn't remember..." huminto siya ng bahagya. "Fortunately, she saw the card I sent to her few weeks prior which had my address here and she was left with no choice but to fly out here with very little cash and no idea of what she would expect. Fuck," he let out a harsh breath. "She was so confused...she thought I was her boyfriend..."

What the hell...

I felt as though my world collapsed before my eyes as I let his words sink in.

My Calliope must have been so scared. God, she must have been so fucking scared and I was not there. Fucking hell...

"She's better off without you, Malachi," agaw ng boses niya sa pag-iisip ko. "You already witnessed how she reacted when she saw you. She was uncomfortable..." he lets out a frustrated sigh and shook his head. "I don't know how you manage to break her the way you did but you should stay the fuck away from my sister. We only respected her wishes when she insisted she wanted to be with you but now...leave her the fuck alone."

How he's not beating the shit out of me right now, I don't know. Kung ako sa kanya ay baka hindi na ako makatayo sa bugbog ngayon. Goddamnit all to hell.

Naninikip ang lalamunan na sinubukan kong lumunok. My head spins and my heart was trying to beat out of my chest but I willed myself to stay strong.

He's right. I hate that he was right.

"How long ago was this?" my voice came out as a haunted whisper.

"Four months ago."

I've been looking for her in the wrong places. No wonder every lead were a dead end. No wonder...

I clenched my jaw as a thought passed my mind. "Did Calum know about this?"

He regarded me for a moment and then nodded. "Of course. He's her twin."

I choked and tried to swallow down the feeling of betrayal that seeped into my bones. Alam kong irrational ang nararamdaman ko. Of course, Calum would protect her from me. Tanggap ko na na kung papipiliin man siya ay hindi siya mag-aatubiling piliin ang kambal niya. Hindi ko siya masisisi dahil ganun din ako. I would choose Calliope over anyone even my own family in a heartbeat.