Untitled Part 27

Hard walked path chapter 28:

The island of the Misty shore was silent, save for the sound of crashing waves and crickets.

*Yawn*

"Another boring watch, huh Zakuro?" A Kiri nin lazily eyed his partner. Who let out a grunt as he pondered his next move.

The two were playing shogi, one of the many pass times the unlucky people on guard duty. Monitoring the coast in case of infiltration.

'Like that will ever happen. If only we had some saki, this would make this less dull,' letting out a long sigh. "I'm going to take a piss. Don't you dare swap those pieces. I've memorized their positions." Threatening to gut him with a kunai should he do so.

He walked a fair distance into the woods. Stopped in front of a random tree and went about his business. Right as he finished, a snap from nearby drew his attention.

"That you Zakuro?" he questioned, only for silence to answer him. "I swear to the heavens if you're trying to scare me again. I'll gut you this time for real," he stated, tensing up as the nearby bush shook.

Grabbing a kunai, he readies himself to face the enemy. Only to blink owlishly as a little toad popped out of the foliage.

"I'm losing it," dropping his guard and pocketing the kunai with a chuckle.

"what are you doing out here alone, little guy?" he pondered crouching down to get a closer look. The toad was unique, sporting a purple tone with its underbelly being a light yellow.

"He's not alone," an unfamiliar voice spoke from behind him. His eyes widened and attempted to jump back, but found his body unmoving.

"W-what?" he croaked as his eyes got heavy and darkness claimed him. Falling to the ground with a small thud.

"That went well. Good work, Captain," Mizu said, appearing from the branches and twirling a dart.

"It's because of this little guy. Thanks, Umi." Naruto stated, giving the little guy a pat on the head. Umi gave him a sloppy salute before puffing into smoke.

"Have a couple of our guys keep an eye here. The rest of you, it's time to move out. Stick together and keep your senses sharp," Naru stated, jumping into the trees with the others following behind.

Naruto and his troops moved cautiously through the forest, keeping an eye out for traps and patrols. It took less than an hour for them to arrive on the outskirts of the fort.

'So this is it' Naruto eyed the fort from his tree branch. The walls were twenty feet tall, with guards patrolling them. The exact number he couldn't tell.

It was a straightforward fight with little to no coverage on the walls. The guards would instantly notice them and sound the alarm. Raining death from above on their forces.

"Dam, we're not prepared for a siege." Muttering under his breath in frustration. The other looked at him in confusion. He waved them off and returned to the matter at hand.

After a long moment of silence, he spoke low enough for them to hear.

"We're leaving." His words earned a wave of confusion, but they didn't voice their thoughts. Silently, the group left the outskirts and made their way deep into the forest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They made camp in a cave their scouts had discovered. It was large enough to house the group and out of the way for the enemy patrols. With a few lookouts set up in the woods, they would know long before anyone got close.