Chapter 3

The car ride felt like it lasted a lifetime. Evie had fallen asleep beside me, her head resting on my shoulder as the hours ticked by. Finally, we arrived at our destination, and my jaw nearly hit the floor. The place was stunning—a massive estate that looked like something out of a fairy tale, complete with towering spires and an ancient, castle-like facade.

"Oh. My. God," I whispered, nudging Evie to wake her up. She mumbled something incoherent, not wanting to wake up, but after another gentle push, she finally stirred and looked up.

"Holy shit," she muttered, her eyes widening at the sight before us.

Oliver chuckled from the front seat. "Old money, ladies. London is full of it. This estate has been in the family for generations. You'd be surprised how much history is packed into places like this."

We pulled into the driveway, and as we stepped out of the car, Oliver gestured grandly toward the estate. "Welcome to New Carfax Abbey."

"This place is amazing," I breathed, taking in every detail. The architecture was breathtaking, each stone telling a story of its own. But as my gaze wandered, it landed on a large van parked nearby. The trunk was open, and several maids were stepping out one by one, each wearing aprons with numbers embroidered on them.

Evie tapped me on the shoulder, breaking my trance. "I'm going to look for the lord of the place or something with Oliver," she said, her voice tinged with excitement.

I nodded, still captivated by the surroundings. "Okay, I'll catch up with you in a bit."

As I continued to explore, I accidentally stumbled backward, bumping into one of the maids who was carrying a tray of wine glasses. The tray tipped, and the glasses shattered on the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Let me help you," I exclaimed, immediately bending down to help clean up the mess.

The maid, clearly flustered, shook her head. "No, it's okay, miss. We've got it," she said as another maid rushed over to assist.

"I insist, it's my fault," I replied, carefully picking up the broken pieces and placing them in a nearby container. "My name's Clove, by the way," I added, offering a friendly smile.

The maids exchanged a quick glance, then returned my smile with a warm, if slightly surprised, expression. "I'm Diya, and this is Imogen," the first maid introduced themselves.

"It's nice to meet you both," I said, still feeling a bit guilty about the accident. "I hope I didn't get you into trouble."

Diya shook her head, her expression softening. "Not at all. It was an accident. But thank you for helping, Miss Clove."

As I continued to help them clean the glass up one particular shard cut my index finger causing me to wince a little I quickly wip away the blood on my pants "miss clove are you okay?" Diya says with a look of concern. "Yeah I'm fine it's just a small cut nothing to worry about" I say

"What are you doing get this clean this mess up at once we have important guests arriving!" A unfamiliar voice says I look up to see an old man wearing a tux "oh sorry it was really my fau-" I was cut off by the man who said "it doesn't matter who's fault it was just clean it up"

Oh hell no who does he think he is I almost was tempted to use my magic to fling him across this lot "there's no need to be a cunt about it!"  I say in a harsh but classy tone "Exuse me? I beg your pardon" he says "did I stutter" I say back a bit harsher "why you little-" Now the man was cut off this time by a younger looking gentleman who had just walked up to us.

"At ease, Mr. Feild," the young man said, his voice smooth and refined, exuding an effortless charm. "I believe this is one of our important guests."

I couldn't help but murmur, still reeling from Mr. Feild's earlier rudeness, "I'm still not over how he acted."