Chapter 4

Evie and I followed Mr. Fields inside the manor, and we were immediately struck by its grandeur. The entrance hall was breathtaking, with its high, vaulted ceilings and an ornate chandelier casting a warm glow over the room. A grand staircase with intricately carved wooden banisters spiraled elegantly upwards, leading to the floors above. The walls were adorned with classic, dramatic paintings in gilded frames, and elegant statues stood on pedestals in the corners, adding to the stately atmosphere. The space was dark but exuded an air of refined elegance, with rich, deep tones accentuating the intricate details of the architecture.

"You're most welcome to venture anywhere within the estate," Mr. Fields said, his voice smooth and professional. "Except the library—we're currently renovating."

The manor was truly breathtaking, and I thought Evie and I might explore more later.

"Are these all real?" Evie asked, pointing at the art pieces that adorned the room.

"I can assure you everything is authentic, ma'am," Mr. Fields replied with a hint of pride. "The master is a great supporter of the arts."

We then started walking up the grand staircase, its polished wood gleaming under the soft light of the chandelier. The hallway at the top was equally impressive, with dark, rich carpeting and elegant moldings. We arrived at the entrance to a room where a lady stood, her demeanor warm and welcoming.

"Miss Evelyn, this is your lady's maid, Mrs. Swift," Mr. Fields introduced.

Mrs. Swift gave a friendly smile and a polite nod.

"I get a maid?" Evie laughed lightly, extending a hand for a friendly handshake. "Hi, I'm Evie."

"Welcome, Miss," Mrs. Swift said, returning the handshake warmly. She then opened the door and gestured for Evie to enter. As Evie stepped inside, she paused and turned to me, giving me a hug.

"Clo, I'll see you later. Call me when you're in your room," Evie said.

"Yes, yes. Now don't keep Mrs. Swift waiting," I replied with a smile, watching as Evie and Mrs. Swift went inside. I then followed Mr. Fields as he led me to my own room.

Mr. Fields finally led me to my room, where Diya stood outside the door.

"Miss Clover, this is Diya. She'll be your lady's maid," Mr. Fields said.

"Hi, Diya. Nice to see you again," I greeted her.

"Hello, ma'am. Right this way," Diya replied, opening the door and guiding me inside.

"Thank you, Mr. Fields," I said, trying to put aside my earlier discomfort. He nodded and walked away.

"You can just call me Dee," she said as I stepped into the room.

"Thank you, Dee... wow, this room is so pretty," I said, taking in the dark reddish tones and elegant black and gold accents. The room looked stunning but had a slightly eerie vibe, adding to its unique charm.

 The room looked stunning but had a slightly eerie vibe, adding to its unique charm