Chapter 6

The next morning, I slept in longer than I intended—it was almost noon by the time I finally got up. After getting dressed, I decided to explore more of the area now that daylight revealed everything in its full beauty. I noticed a lovely lake nearby and thought it would be the perfect spot to relax and read, especially since Evie was busy with her family reunion with Oliver.

I chose to wear my white flowy dress paired with my Mary Jane shoes. My hair was slightly curled, and I applied some light makeup to complete the look. Just as I was finishing up, Dee knocked on my door and brought me my late brunch. I ate it while touching up my makeup, and when I was done, I headed down to the lake.

 I ate it while touching up my makeup, and when I was done, I headed down to the lake

(Don't mind the boots it's supposed to be Mary Jane's)

The lake was even more beautiful up close. I found a tree that provided the perfect amount of shade, so I settled down under it and opened my book—*The Vampire Lestat* by Anne Rice. I loved these kinds of stories, even if they were far from realistic. I was completely absorbed in my book, losing myself in the world of Anne Rice's creation, when I noticed a presence out of the corner of my eye.

It was Walt.

"Hello there, Clove. Enjoying the view?" he asked with a smile as he squatted down to sit under the tree beside me.

"Oh yes, your place is so beautiful. I'd literally kill to have something like this," I replied, thinking to myself how lucky he was to own such a breathtaking estate.

Walt's gaze shifted to the book in my hands. "What are you reading?" he asked, reaching down to take the book from me. I didn't hesitate and handed it over.

"It's *The Vampire Lestat* by Anne Rice," I said.

Walt chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Ah, Anne Rice. A classic. It's amusing how these stories capture the imagination, even if they tend to stray far from reality," he commented, his tone carrying a hint of irony.

I laughed along with him, "You have a point. Who knows if all these creatures exist?" I said, pretending to be unaware, even though I knew the truth about the supernatural world.

But as I watched Walt, a thought crossed my mind—did he know about it too? There was something in the way he spoke that made me wonder if we were both hiding the same secret, even if neither of us was ready to reveal it just yet.

Walt and I continued chatting, sharing small laughs as we spoke about random things like our favorite books and places we'd like to visit. The conversation was light and easy, with no awkward silences, which felt comforting. There was something about him that put me at ease, despite the slight unease I'd felt since arriving.

He suddenly shifted the conversation. "So, Clove, what about Evie? She seems like a great person. She doesn't have a boyfriend, does she?"

His question caught me off guard, and I felt a pang in my chest. It wasn't that I didn't want Evie to be happy—it was just that...well, I suppose I had hoped Walt might have been interested in me. I managed a smile, though. "No, Evie's not dating anyone right now. She's been through a lot, and I think she's just waiting for the right guy. But she's an amazing person. She deserves someone who truly appreciates her."