THIRTY THREE

Flashback 

Flashback 

Life's a cruel joke, isn't it?

You never know when the curtain might fall. It just hits you like a deer caught in headlights. After spending his whole life in pain, Kim Jaesoo finally dreamt of seeing the light. He had let himself believe that he could get a chance to make things right. He had believed he could finally bring justice to all those kids who suffered in those cells of Project Chimera along with himself and his brother⏤ Kim Taehyung and a detective who in a twisted way, ended up being Taehyung's boyfriend. The hope just increased when he saw Taehyung. He had convinced himself that together, they could bring Project Chimera to its knees. But, how wrong was he? How wrong was he to believe such a thing?

From the depths of Project Chimera, where he and his brother, Taehyung, had endured unimaginable horrors, he had vowed to one day dismantle the very system that had scarred them so deeply. He'd sacrificed everything. His reputation, his relationship with Taehyung, even his own sanity. Only for one reason⏤ to finally shut down Project Chimera and destroy his own father just completely like he had ruined so many kids lives that includes his own kids.  Only for all the hard work to end up him being in this position right now.

But as fate would have it, life's cruelest twists often arrive when least expected. 

Now, for the first time in a long time, Kim Jaesoo was genuinely afraid. The fear was not of death, but of the possibility that his life had been a futile endeavor, a tragic waste of time and energy.

The stark white walls of the cell sent a shiver down Jaesoo's spine. It was a place he had vowed never to return to, a prison of the mind as much as the body. How could he have been so foolish? How could he have allowed himself to be drawn back to this hellish place? The memories flooded back, a cacophony of pain, fear, and despair. He remembered the cold, damp floor, the stench of disinfectant, and the constant drone of machinery. He remembered the fear that had consumed him, the hopelessness that had threatened to swallow him whole.

After escaping the clutches of Project Chimera, why was he now standing in the very place that had once held him captive?

No.

Jaesoo's gaze darted to Taehyung, who stirred, his eyes slowly fluttering open. A wave of relief washed over Jaesoo as his brother's consciousness returned. But that relief was quickly replaced by a dread that gnawed at his insides. Jaesoo's heart pounded painfully, hard to accept the reality. How will Taehyung react when he realises where they were taken to? Will his brother be scared too? Jaesoo knew the answer. Taehyung, having endured the same horrors as himself, would undoubtedly be terrified. The mere thought of it sent a chill down Jaesoo's spine. 

They were back in the place of their nightmares, trapped once again within the cold, unforgiving walls of Project Chimera.

Jaesoo pushed himself closer to Taehyung, a groan escaping his lips as a sharp pain lanced through his head. He reached out to help his brother sit up, his body trembling with the effort. Taehyung looked around with a dazed expression, his eyes scanning the unfamiliar surroundings. Jaesoo body tensed when he saw the confusion in Taehyung's eyes turn into recognisation. Taehyung's body tensed and his head whipped to Jaesoo's in fear. His body tensed, and he jerked away, his eyes wide with fear. But when he realized it was Jaesoo's hand on his shoulder, his fear softened, replaced by a look of bewilderment. A question hung in Taehyung's eyes and Jaesoo swallowed. He knew what his brother was asking.