Sparks and Shadows

The tension in the air was almost palpable as Bright sauntered over to the counter, his gaze lingering on Orm with a mixture of challenge and amusement. Ling felt a chill run down her spine, the warmth of the evening quickly dissipating in the face of Bright's presence.

"Bright," Orm greeted coolly, her expression guarded. She didn't move an inch, standing protectively close to Ling.

"I didn't expect to see you here," Bright replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "But then again, I shouldn't be surprised."

Ling couldn't help but notice the way Orm's posture stiffened, her usually relaxed demeanor replaced by something harder, more defensive. The playful Orm she had come to know was nowhere in sight.

"Is there something you need?" Orm's voice was sharp, cutting through the tension like a knife.

Bright chuckled, leaning against the counter. "Just grabbing a coffee. Is that a crime?"

Ling forced herself to stay calm as she prepared Bright's order, her hands trembling slightly. She could feel Orm's eyes on her, watching her every move as if ready to intervene at a moment's notice.

"You should have just left," Orm said under her breath, just loud enough for Ling to hear.

Ling shook her head subtly, handing the coffee to Bright without meeting his gaze. "Here you go."

Bright took the cup, but he didn't move to leave. Instead, he looked at Ling with that same unsettling smile. "You know, Ling, you're much more interesting than I expected. Orm has good taste."

Ling blushed, unsure how to respond. She felt Orm tense beside her, and for a moment, she worried there might be a confrontation.

"Bright, don't you have somewhere else to be?" Orm's voice was low, a clear warning in her tone.

Bright raised an eyebrow, clearly enjoying the tension he was causing. "I'll leave, but only because I have a show tonight. I wouldn't want to keep my fans waiting."

He straightened up, giving Ling one last lingering look before heading toward the door. "See you around, Orm. And Ling, take care."

As soon as the door closed behind him, Ling let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. The atmosphere immediately lightened, but the unease from Bright's visit still lingered.

"Are you okay?" Orm asked, her voice softening as she turned to Ling.

Ling nodded, though she couldn't hide the uncertainty in her eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just... who is he, Orm? What happened between you two?"

Orm sighed, rubbing the back of her neck as she considered how much to tell Ling. "It's a long story, but let's just say Bright and I have history. We were rivals in the industry, but it got personal. We were friends, once... more than friends, even. But things went south, and now we're... well, you saw what we are now."

Ling nodded slowly, processing the information. "Do you think he's going to cause trouble?"

Orm hesitated before answering, her eyes darkening with concern. "I don't know. But I do know that I'm not going to let him hurt you. Not now, not ever."

Ling's heart skipped a beat at the protectiveness in Orm's voice. It was strange, feeling so safe and cared for by someone she had only just met. But there was something about Orm that made her feel like she could trust her, like they were connected in a way she couldn't quite explain.

"I can take care of myself, you know," Ling said with a small smile, trying to lighten the mood.

Orm grinned, her playful demeanor returning. "I have no doubt about that. But it doesn't hurt to have backup, right?"

Ling laughed softly, the tension finally easing out of her shoulders. "Right."

The rest of the evening passed in a blur of small talk and shared smiles, but the encounter with Bright lingered in both of their minds. As the night came to a close, Orm walked Ling to her apartment, their footsteps echoing softly in the quiet street.

"Thanks for tonight," Ling said, stopping in front of her door. "For everything."

Orm smiled, her eyes twinkling in the dim light. "Anytime. And hey, if you ever need anything, you know where to find me."

Ling nodded, feeling a warmth spread through her chest. "Goodnight, Orm."

"Goodnight, Ling," Orm replied, her voice soft as she leaned in, planting a gentle kiss on Ling's cheek.

Ling blushed, her heart racing as she watched Orm walk away, her figure disappearing into the night. She stood there for a moment, her cheek tingling where Orm's lips had touched it, before finally heading inside.

But as Ling closed the door behind her, she couldn't shake the feeling that this was only the beginning. Bright's sudden appearance, Orm's protectiveness, and the growing connection between them—it all felt like the calm before a storm. And deep down, Ling knew that whatever was coming next would change everything.