A Dangerous Game

The café hummed with the easy rhythm of laughter and clinking glasses. Ling, Orm, and the band had gathered in a corner, their spirits lifted by small but meaningful victories. It was one of those rare nights when the weight of their troubles felt just a little lighter.

Standing by the window, Orm's hand found Ling's, their fingers lacing together. She glanced around the room, spotting Kai from across the way. A small smile tugged at her lips. They were finally ahead—for now.

"Think we've won?" Orm whispered, leaning in, her breath warm against Ling's ear.

Ling let out a soft chuckle, her eyes shining with quiet confidence. "Not yet, but we're close. One more move and Apinan will be scrambling. Bright too, if he knows what's good for him."

Orm smirked, a flicker of mischief in her gaze. "Let's hope Bright learned his lesson. If not..." She trailed off, the threat hanging unspoken between them.

Ling squeezed Orm's hand, her smile sharpening. "He'll fall in line. He always does when he realizes who's really in control."

Neither of them knew that Bright wasn't falling in line. He was outside, concealed in the shadows, his eyes fixed on the pair. Watching. Seething.

Bright's eyes narrowed as he stood across the street, hidden by the shadows, watching Orm and Ling through the café window. His fists were clenched so tight in his jacket pockets that his knuckles ached. The sight of them—smiling, holding hands, so comfortable—made his blood boil. He replayed everything in his mind, over and over. The humiliation. The betrayals. The moments when he had sacrificed for Orm, only to be cast aside like he was nothing.

He gritted his teeth, the bitterness rising like bile in his throat.

"After everything I've done. Everything I was for her... and this is what I get?"

He glared at them, his thoughts darkening, twisting deeper into resentment.

"They think they've won. Like I'm some pawn they can discard. But this isn't over. Not by a long shot. They'll regret thinking they could use me, thinking they could control me."

The anger consumed him, but beneath it, something colder and more dangerous lingered—an obsession that refused to die.

"Orm... you might not realize it yet, but you still belong to me. You always have. And when this is done, when Apinan falls, you'll come crawling back. And Ling—"

His thoughts trailed off, a cruel smile creeping across his lips.

*Flashback: The SBB Quarters, Bright's Cell*

The cold, gray walls of the SBB Quarters pressed in on Bright like a cage. He had been here for what felt like an eternity, locked away from the world, from his revenge, from Orm. The steel door creaked open, and he sat up, his heart pounding when he saw who stepped inside.

Orm and Ling.

Ling strolled in confidently, her eyes gleaming with satisfaction, while Orm stood beside her, calm and composed, almost indifferent. It unnerved him how unaffected she seemed.

"Surprised to see us, Bright?" Ling's voice cut through the silence like a blade. She took a seat across from him, as if they were old friends meeting for coffee.

Bright's jaw clenched, but he said nothing, his eyes darting between them. He wasn't stupid. This wasn't a visit out of pity.

"We're here because we need your help," Orm said quietly, her gaze steady. "But let's be clear—you won't do it for free. We know how you think."

Bright snorted. "What makes you think I'd ever help you after everything?"

Ling leaned forward, her smile sharp. "Because you want out of here, don't you? We can make that happen. Work with us, and you'll be free. No more bars. No more being Apinan's puppet."