Encounters and Echoes

The next few days were a whirlwind for Ling. She kept herself busy at the coffee shop, trying to drown out the thoughts of Orm that persistently invaded her mind. But it was no use—Orm had awakened something in her, a curiosity she couldn't shake.

Nene, ever perceptive, noticed Ling's distraction. "Ling, you've been lost in thought all week. Want to talk about it?" she asked one afternoon, her voice gentle but probing.

Ling hesitated, unsure how to put her feelings into words. "It's nothing, Nene. Just... met someone interesting recently."

Nene's eyes twinkled with understanding. "Someone who's got you questioning a few things, perhaps?"

Ling bit her lip, nodding slightly. "Yeah, something like that."

Nene smiled warmly. "It's okay to be confused, Ling. Sometimes, people come into our lives to show us parts of ourselves we didn't know existed."

Ling let Nene's words sink in, but they only seemed to deepen the questions swirling in her mind. What did she really feel for Orm? And why did the thought of the rock star make her heart race in ways it never had before?

Orm, meanwhile, was struggling to focus on her music. Bright's unexpected visit had rattled her more than she cared to admit. The band's rehearsals were tense, and she found herself snapping at Ingfa and Tan over the smallest mistakes.

"You need to chill, Orm," Bow said one evening as they wrapped up another practice session. "Bright's just trying to get under your skin. Don't let him."

Orm sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I know, but it's not just him. It's everything. The past, the present... and then there's this girl."

Bow raised an eyebrow. "The coffee shop girl? Ling?"

Orm nodded. "Yeah. I can't stop thinking about her. She's different, Bow. I can't explain it, but there's something about her..."

Bow chuckled softly. "Sounds like you're falling for her."

Orm scoffed, though the thought had crossed her mind more than once. "It's not that simple. She's... she's figuring things out, I think. And I don't want to mess with her head."

"Maybe you should just talk to her," Bow suggested. "See where things go."

Orm thought about it, the idea both exciting and terrifying. She wasn't used to opening up, especially not to someone as seemingly innocent as Ling. But the pull she felt toward the barista was too strong to ignore.

The following weekend, Orm decided to take Bow's advice. She made her way to the coffee shop, her heart pounding as she approached the door. Inside, she spotted Ling behind the counter, her face lighting up in a smile that made Orm's breath catch.

"Hey," Orm greeted her, trying to keep her voice casual. "Busy day?"

Ling's cheeks flushed slightly at the sight of Orm, her heart doing that now-familiar flip. "Oh, not really. Just the usual."

Orm leaned on the counter, her gaze locked on Ling. "I was thinking... maybe we could hang out sometime. Outside of work, I mean."

Ling blinked, surprised by the offer. "Oh... um, sure. That sounds nice."

Orm grinned, sensing Ling's nervousness but finding it endearing. "How about tonight? I know this great spot by the river. We could grab some food, talk... get to know each other better."

Ling hesitated for a moment, her mind racing. Part of her wanted to say no, to avoid the confusion that Orm stirred in her. But a stronger part of her—the part that was tired of playing it safe—wanted to see where this could lead.